3| macrophobia

Malaina

Malaina

IT HAD BEEN exactly 2 days since I'd met that boy in the bathroom and he hadn't called me back.

After he had reluctantly agreed to let me drive him home, we got in the car and spent the 10-minute car ride in silence, with only the low hum of the car making any noise.

About halfway through the ride, I decided to say something, anything but before I could even start, I heard him snore a little beside me and I sighed.

He had already fallen asleep before I had even gotten the chance to make small talk. Still, I was determined to make sure he got to his house safely. He'd explained that his parents were at the party, but he couldn't risk letting them see him in such a messy state. Of course, I used this as more of the reason why I should take him home.

His house wasn't hard to find. Just like me, he lived in a gated neighborhood that screamed 'money'. It wasn't a subtle area, it was far from it. Grand and flamboyant as expected.

There were big white pillars that framed the front door, a gigantic water fountain symmetrical to the entrance, and the house itself was made out of white bricks.

I stopped in front of the black iron gate that surrounded the estate before turning off the car. I turned to look at him. Sleep made him appear a lot less intimidating, his jaw was no longer clenched, his features were softened and innocent, like a little boy.

It gave me a glimpse of what he looked like when he was peaceful. I almost didn't want to wake him up. Who knew when he was going to look like this again?

I nudged him gently on the shoulder and his eyes fluttered open slowly as he groaned.

"Are we here yet?" he murmured, his voice low and gravelly. He looked around at his surroundings, almost looking as though he'd forgotten where he was. He stretched a little, let out a loud yawn, before his eyes snapped in my direction. They narrowed slightly.

"Yes, we are," I replied, unlocking the passenger door. He took this as his cue to leave but I wasn't done just yet. Right before he was about to leave, I stopped him.

"Wait!" I said as he pushed the door open. He waited for me as I searched around in my car, getting out a napkin and pen. I quickly scribbled my phone number down.

"Call me," I said, holding the napkin out in his direction. "Just let me know that you're okay tomorrow?"

He looked me up and down, at my face and the napkin, and then at my face again. It was obvious he still didn't trust me yet. Even his stiff posture was a sign he was guarded. He took it from me after a few seconds of scrutinizing.

"Okay," he said simply, leaving me with just that. He left, without any goodbye, any thanks at all. I wasn't like I expected anything more from him. I watched him disappear into the house before I drove away.