14| aerophobia

Malaina

Malaina

CONVINCING MY PARENTS TO LET me go to Paris during Thanksgiving break was a lot harder than I had expected. For starters, I couldn't just go up to them and tell them that I wanted to fly to Paris and follow a boy that wasn't the boy they had arranged for me to marry.

Second of all, Mother was not thrilled about my attitude at the St-Claire's house when they had announced my arranged marriage to Levi. Fate was on my side because Levi and I had both come to a mutual unspoken agreement that the marriage our parents had planned for us was never going to work.

This just left one problem; how was I going to be able to convince my parents that I needed to go to Paris without them getting suspicious?

I felt something nudge my shoulder gently, and I refocused my attention on what was going on around me. Devonte, Aisha, Henry, Mateo, and I were all eating lunch underneath the shade of a tree, sitting down in the almost dead crunchy grass, a sign of Fall. Mateo was looking at me expectantly and I realized that he was the one who nudged me.

In his hand was a small plastic baggie with what appeared to be a sandwich inside of it. He gave me a slight smile. "I made an extra one for you, that is, if you want it," Mateo offered, extending the baggie in my direction.

It took everything within me not to explode with butterflies. Instead, I tried to play it cool, took the sandwich from him, and mouthed a 'thank you. For the first time in a long time, I took a bite of actual food, not the handful of nuts Mother had packed for me, but actual baked Italian bread, loaded with carbs that I for a moment, couldn't care less about.

There was fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and juicy ham, topped with a sauce I couldn't quite put my finger on. I resisted the urge to inhale the whole sandwich, savouring each bite, and catching Mateo's small smile from the corner of my eye.

Henry clapped his hands together, gaining everyone's attention. Today he was rocking a pair of Christian Louboutin sleek, black, leather boots. His eyeliner was perfectly winged, complimenting the shape and warmth of his eyes.

"Has anyone thought of any way we are going to convince all of our parents to let us go to Paris because I've never done anything like before? One wrong move could get us caught," Henry pointed out.

Devonte's hand instantly shot like a rocket. His curly black hair bounced up and down along with him as he reached his hand even higher up and raised it until Aisha noticed him.

Aisha snorted, pushing her long braids away from her face. "You do realize we're not in class, right?" Devonte stuck out his tongue childishly, his pearly white teeth flashing as he beamed.

"Nobody has to worry about a thing. I've forged many permission slips in my lifetime, to get me out of gym class, out of school, out of class, you name it. All we have to do is come up with some valuable educational field trip, and our parents are bound to let us go."