24| odynophobia

Mateo

Mateo

WHEN I CAME TO, my head was pounding in a way that was different from when I was hungover. No, this pain was physical, enough to make me wince in pain as I pressed my fingers against my temple.

When I peered down at my fingers, they were slick with blood. My blood. I tried not to look at it, forcing my eyes to look elsewhere. My eyes burned as a blinding white light was flashed into them, enough to make me feel even more nauseous than I already was.

I tried to say something, but the sound was muffled by the piece of fabric clamped over my mouth. I tried to scream, but it only came out as a pathetic whimper.

The air was cold, a shiver running down my spine as I tried to decipher where I was. When my eyes finally adjusted to the intensity of the light around me, I noticed that everywhere else was dark. Everywhere where the light didn't touch was enveloped in darkness.

If I squinted my eyes enough, I could see large shelves of alcohol stacked up along the walls of the room. Strange. I was in a room, but the size of the room was impossible to tell as I could barely make out my surroundings.

I couldn't tell what time it was or how long I had been unconscious. No light entered from outside. There were no windows, just an old rickety wall in front of me and the light shining slighting on my right side. Maybe I was in a basement? A warehouse?

Rope burned against my skin as my wrists were tied back tightly to the back of the chair I was sitting in. My head rolled slightly to the side, and I couldn't tell if I was more relieved or worried to find Malaina tied up next to me, eyes still shut as if she were peacefully sleeping.

Nothing about this was peaceful, and I could hear the blood whooshing through my ears as I felt my heartbeat at an insane speed. I didn't bother calling her name; I knew she wouldn't hear me. Instead, like the idiot I was, I tried to untie myself, just like I had seen in the movie.

Attempt after attempt, I failed miserably.

Malaina and I had devised a plan before we left the house. Annique, one of Malaina's closest maids, had been instructed to call the police with our location if she didn't hear back from us. A small tracking chip had been carefully inserted into the sole of my shoe, one that would send the coordinates to our exact location.

If the odds were in our favour, the police would be arriving any time now. All we had to do was stall for long enough.

"Oh Mateo, when are you going to realize that nobody here is going to save you?" A chilling voice came from behind me. Out of the shadows, an almost unfamiliar face came out from the darkness, and it took me a minute to remember that I did, in fact, know this person.

Justin, the man whom I had delivered drugs to that night at the Golden Shot Bar, was standing beside me, a grin comparable to that of the Cheshire Cat's spreading on his face. His blue eyes were cold bloodshot as if he were tired or high.Was he there at the party? With all the people there I  could have easily missed him.