BasicallyIDo407 - Coming Home

Scotty's POV

It's been four years. Four fucking years. He's been off ina war-ridden country for four years and hasn't been given a single letter of mine. I also haven't gotten a single letter from him either. I don't know what that means, but all my guesses send fear through my mind.

Every other family effected by the draft has been receiving letters and sometimes small gifts from their loved ones overseas.

Time's now inching closer to our sixth anniversary and I don't even know if the love of my life is alive.

I'm so lost without him. I miss his warm hugs and his contagious laugh. I miss his comforting words and caring gazes. I miss waking up to the smell of breakfast on mornings he decided to get up early and the sweet humming he'd do while swaying his hips at the stove. I miss his enthusiastic ways and childish comments, his playful smiles. God, I'm so lonely, but that's what happens when you live with one person for two straight years.

So here I am cuddled up on our couch staring mindlessly at the fireplace, lost in the mesmerising curls of the flames. Maybe today Marcel will come home; but then again, I've said that every day for the past year and a half.

Marcel's POV

It's been four years. Four fucking years and I've been forced to fight innocent people because our government thought they were a threat. I haven't been able to send letters or gifts to my love stuck at home.

Almost everyone else can because they didn't see the corruption in our fighting, but I did, and since then they haven't allowed me to send letters in fears that I'll expose them.

I know someone else in my section who also can't contact their loved one, his name is Brock, he doesn't deserve to be here, he's too innocent and kind. Always talking about his daughter and his boyfriend he had to leave after them only being together for three months. I feel his pain, not a day goes by where I don't think of Scotty.

I miss him so much, I've even been yelled at by our sergeant because I was spaced out thinking of him. I miss him so much, every day just a little more than the last. I know that not being able to send him letters for four whole years has made him worry, but to what extent? Does he worry every day? Is he at least taking care of himself? Oh god, what if he thinks I'm dead or I left him? I need to get home soon.

I'm soon brought out of my thoughts by a hand shaking my shoulder gently, an all too familiar hand. I look up to see Brock's gaze, but this time it's not filled with worry and concern like normal, no, this time it was filled with hope.

"What's up?" I ask quietly.

"Come on, hurry," he whispered urgently, a small smile on his face. I haven't seen him smile in so long. " They're about to announce everyone who can go home this round."

I quickly stood up and we both rushed to the small group of people surrounding our sergeant. After a few minutes, he began reading off names.

"Ahern, Baker, Barrus," I heard Brock gasp next to me, we turn a smile to each other. I pat his shoulder reassuringly and saw the tears build up in his eyes. He deserves to go home. "Brown, Chase, Cunningham," My world stops. I finally get to go home, it almost doesn't seem real, I thought I was going to spend the rest of however long my life was going to be here.

I turn to Brock who has tears rushing down his and he hugs me with a bright smile on his lips, we're going home. We get to see our family again.

After all the names were said, we all rushed to get packed, the truck was coming to pick us up in an hour, we'd arrive in the U.S. by morning and released to go home by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm coming home Scotty, I promise, and just in time for our anniversary.

~

Scotty's POV

It's officially Marcel and I's sixth anniversary. I got a notification that some soldiers are coming home today and every loved one would be personally contacted if their soldier came home.

I didn't get a call.

I also heard that many families were already visited by soldiers carrying a flag and the news their loved one was never to see them again. I'd be lying if I said at some point I wasn't expecting them to show up at my door.

So here I am yet again, staring at the fireplace, this time it's burned out and gloomy, much like my mood. And yeah, it's freezing in here, but I could care less, just the thought of Marcel never coming home accused a heavy weight to form in my chest. Tears start to sting my eyes and I gave up trying to hold in my emotions.

I let out a small, weak sob, almost as if all the built-up emotions didn't want to surface.

I continued crying until I heard a loud, stern knock at my door. Oh no.

I slowly get up, hands and legs shaking and I can barely see through all the tears. I hesitate at the door, my hands resting gently on the handle and lock. I almost don't want to open the door, scared of what's on the other side. So I sit here, tears streaming down my cheeks as I take shallow breaths staring at my door.

Marcel's POV

The bus finally pulled up across my house. Seeing it is almost too surreal. I feel tears threaten to fall and, after all this time of not being able to cry, I let them. I slowly walk up to our driveway, seeing Scotty's car in the driveway, perfect.

I can't wait to see him.

I slowly walk up to our door and knock. I flinch at the sound, it was too stern and unfriendly. I wait for a second before I hear a small noise from the other side. It sounded so small and broken. Was Scotty crying?

"Scotty?" I practically whisper, any louder and my voice was sure to crack. "Hey, love, I'm home."

I hear a small gasp and the lock turn as the door swings open quickly. I'm suddenly greeted with an armful of Scotty, his arms constricting my neck but I don't even care at this point, I'm just so happy to finally have him in my arms again.

We stand here for god knows how long, crying into each other's shoulders as we sway slightly back and forth. I'm filled with so much happiness and warmth, I never want to leave him again.

We finally pull and back he sniffles, smiling so brightly, my smile matched his. I look at him loving and see the love in his eyes as well. He smashes his lips against mine in our long-awaited kiss, god I missed him so much. His lips were so soft and loving and warm.

We finally pulled away and stared at each other, a smile never leaving our lips.

"Hey," his voice breaks, but this time from tears of joy.

"Hey," I whisper back. I'm so happy.

Eventually, we go inside, change into more comfortable clothes, light the fireplace, and cuddle up together under mountains of blankets, just enjoying each other's warmth.

I've never felt happier, maybe tomorrow I'll explain why I never sent anything, but right now, I just want to cuddle my boyfriend, or, soon to be fiance, and just be happy. 

A/N: I hope you enjoyed it! I'm definitely trying to write and publish more!