Forbidden

Again, we walked on the way home one dark starry night. The leaves danced as the wind passed by. The midnight critters were the only sound we both heard. The yellowish tint of the streetlights embraced us as we took slow steps forward.

"Can I ask you something?" She started.

"What is it?" I said.

"Why do you still love me?" She asked.

I didn't react. She had always asked me the same question for some quite time. Ever since I knew the truth, she had doubts about me. Our breath fogged as we both stayed silent for a short period. I kept my eyes forward as I replied.

"Because loving you is a promise I made to keep."

Her eyes shifted towards me. I avoided the shallow blue waters hidden within her eyes. She then stared blankly at the stars as our steps subtly sounded on the concrete.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't give you the forever you wished for." She uttered.

"Yes, I love you. But the world forbids our love. Our love was a curse we both had to suffer for." She continued.

I kept avoiding her gaze as we both walked forward. No. She's wrong. I wanted to tell her that our love was not a curse that destroyed us. No. Loving her was the greatest blessing that happened to me, to the two of us. I wanted to tell her that she's wrong. I held my breath for a split second and I whispered under my breath.

"Two hearts in love is never a curse."

"Loving you was a choice I never had regret. You were the greatest chapter that became part of me in this life. The gods never cursed us, they blessed us." I added.

This time, I turned my head to her and I raised a smile. She was still as beautiful as ever. The silky, raven hair that falls perfectly on her shoulders, her rose red lips, and the eyes that reflected the whole universe was visible in every part of her. I held my gaze as time stopped for the both of us.

After a brief moment of eternal gazing, she smiled. Her teardrops started to fall and the wind around us started to change. I covered the pain with a smile as she replied with tears running down her cheeks.

"Thank you for making me feel this way. It feels as if nothing separated us in two disparate worlds. So please, stop the tears running down your eyes." She spoke.

I didn't notice the tears that fell. I couldn't stop the pain inside. She raised her hands to my cheeks, wiping off my tears even when her hands couldn't touch me anymore. I also wiped the tears on her spectral face as I sobbed. My fingers gently phased through her as she smiled.

She's already gone. And the woman I see left is a only a fragment of her. My tears kept falling like rain. I already accepted the fate that was written for us. But I still couldn't bear the pain she left me with. I wrapped my arms around her and we both kissed as the night embraced us.

"It's time for us to say goodbye." She uttered.

I smiled and I started clearing the teardrops. Flashing lights that looked like fireflies revolved around her as she slowly disappeared.

"We may now be in different worlds, but I will still keep the promise I made..." As her specter slowly faded, she waved her last goodbye. Midnight ticked its final minute, and I gave the last whisper in my heart.

"... that I'll love you, no matter how far the universe pulls us apart."