𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝑎 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒

Word count: 2547

𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐒 later, the four of them were all seated around one of the square tables, tall glasses of beer sitting in front of them. Both Fives were facing each other as Valerie and Luther faced each other, and to say that the tension between the two Fives was high was an understatement.

"Well . . . this is nice, isn't it?" Luther glanced at the two men before looking at Valerie, a nervous smile on his face. "The four of us, together like this."

Valerie gave an enthusiastic nod. "Ye—"

"No," both Fives said simultaneously.

The two of them stared at each other with intense hatred, their gazes hardened and their jaws clenched. They were both leaned forward on the table, not taking their eyes off each other as they breathed heavily.

"Somebody explain to me how it is I'm having a pint of Guinness with my younger self," Adult Five said, his eyes still fixated on the younger (older?) version of himself.

"Older, actually," Teen Five corrected with the same enthusiasm. "I'm you, just fourteen days older."

"I have pubic hair smarter than you," Adult Five scoffed, "How's that possible?"

Valerie and Luther's eyes moved from face to face as they watched the two argue. They shared a brief moment of agitation as they looked at each other before their eyes turned to Teen Five.

"I can explain," Teen Five sighed. "You see, one hour from now, on the grassy knoll, before the president is killed, you break your contract with the Commission. I already know you're thinking about it. All those years in the apocalypse, we never stopped worrying about our family." He glanced over to the girl next to him before continuing, "About Valerie. Well, today, you are going to do something about it. Today, you are going to attempt to time travel forward to 2019. However, you are going to screw up the jump and end up in this twip of a body" —he gestured towards himself— "trapped forever, small."

"I mean," Valerie mumbled, "it's not that bad."

"Okay." Adult Five was sweating profusely at this point, his hands clasped together in front of him. "Even if I was to believe you, what am I supposed to do about it, not jump?"

"No, no. I need you to jump," Teen Five corrected as he shook his head quickly. "If you don't jump, I cease to exist. What I need from you is to jump correctly."

Adult Five nodded nervously, glancing around him as he prompted, "I'm listening."

"The first time through, I got the calculation wrong," Teen Five explained. "That's how I ended up in this body. But now, I know the correct calculation."

Adult Five's eyebrows furrowed as he questioned, "What is it?"

"I'll be glad to tell you" —a cunning smile grew onto Teen Five's face as he leaned forward— "in exchange for that briefcase you're holding under the table."

The two resumed silence once more as they stared at each other, and it was more than clear that this fight wasn't going to be one that they'd win with ease. 

Luther cut in, nodding hesitantly, "Yeah, yeah, so you go back to 2019, as planned, but this time with the right math, so you remain a full-grown man. In exchange, we get that briefcase that you no longer need."

"Timeline restored, paradox resolved," Teen Five continued off him as he nodded slowly, his eyebrows raised. "Everyone goes on existing happily ever after."

Adult Five glanced down at the table, his eyebrows furrowed as he murmured, "That's quite a bit to take in."

Teen Five examined his expression before he tentatively questioned, "What do you think?"