𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨. 𝑎 𝑠𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒

Word count: 1804

𝐀𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 was nothing they could do but try, the group headed towards the barn, where they could tell action was being played out.

They arrived at the entrance, and Valerie gave a small sigh of relief when she could see that Five was in there, standing and no longer covered in bricks.

His face was ridden with dirt, sweat, and dried blood, and he spoke gruffly as he panted, "She never cared about your parents. She was looking for you."

Lila, whose back was to the group, whispered, "Why?"

"'Cause you're one of us," Diego answered as they walked in, causing Lila to whip around and weakly point her knife at them. "The Handler stole you, Lila. Just like our asshole father took all of us."

"No." She quickly shook her head, her voice panicked as she looked around at all of them. "It's not the same thing."

"You're right. Because he didn't have our parents murdered. Listen to me, Lila." Diego began to slowly step towards the girl, his hand outstretched to show her he meant no harm. "You were born October 1st, 1989, the same day as all of us."

"Stay back!" she yelled, causing everyone to move towards her in alarm.

"Hey! Hey, stop!" Diego shouted, causing their steps to die down as they surrounded her. "Wait. Wait. Hey! Lila? Lila, stop."

Valerie rushed up next to Five, who turned to her, his eyes flickering over her to make sure that she was okay before turning his attention back to Lila.

"I trusted you," her voice broke as she spoke. "I got you a job, I even introduced you to my mother, and then you took off on me!"

"Because I needed to save the world!" Diego exclaimed, now only a few feet away from her. "She's using you, Lila. The Handler."

Lila shook her head in disbelief as she scoffed, "You're wrong. She raised me. She loves me."

"Yeah, you know what?" Luther spoke up, gaining her attention. "Love shouldn't have to hurt this much."

Lila stared at him for a moment before making a gagging motion, receiving a shrug from the large man.

"All right," Luther sighed, "I tried."

"He's right," Five breathed out, glancing at Luther before nodding. "We have to kill her."

"Hey!" Diego exclaimed as he held out a hand as Five edged towards her. "Five! Five, stop."

Valerie grabbed his arm and pulled him back, keeping her grip on him tight as Diego continued.

"Hey, Lila," he spoke softly as he looked back at her. "Truth? She's dangerous. And you're scared of what she'll do with all that new power. That's why you dragged me to the Commission. Because I know what it's like to love dangerous people. Difference is . . ." He looked around at each of his siblings, silent for a moment before he looked back at Lila. "They love me back."

Lila raised the knife towards him, her voice merely a whisper, "Shut up."

"The only thing she loves is power," Diego proceeded, slowly stepping closer to her. "Now, the minute she can't use you, she will turn on you, and deep down, I know you know that."

Lila continued to refuse, "You don't know me, Diego."

Diego took a few more steps forward, challenging the tip of the knife to stab him as it lightly pressed against his chest. He ignored it, keeping his moistened eyes fixated on Lila's. "Don't I? I know that we can be your family . . . if you just let us."