9

Alana Vargas

           Thanks to dad I am drenched. I was dying for a slice of mom’s chocolate cake, but he ate the last piece and then left with the car to go wherever, leaving me to walk all the way to the cafe. Half way there the stupid umbrella gave out, and I had to tread my way there in the rain. Thankfully, it was not that far from the house.

Just as I was about to cross the street, I saw a woman clutching a small child to her chest with a man dressed in a black suit and hat holding an umbrella over their heads. I brush my wet hair from my eyes and blink away the water droplets. I watch as they walk over to a black Mercedes and the man opens the door for her to get in with the child.

I knew my sister anywhere, even if she tries to be discreet by wearing a coat twice her size and using a child to conceal her face. I sigh, watching them get in the car. I knew that by coming back here something like this would happen.

That car belongs to Mateo, there was no doubt in my mind. I used to get escorted to one just like that when Anika and he were together.

What I don’t understand is how did she end up in this situation and who is the child that she carried?

The rain got harder as I watch the car until I could no longer see it.

Deciding to cross the street, I continue my journey to get my chocolate dessert, but I couldn’t help thinking about my sister.

Mateo had tried to reach out to me so many times after Anika asked him for a divorce. He wanted me to convince her to give him a second chance; I knew he loved her and I knew he struggled with keeping it in his pants only because it was obvious. I mean, he was married twice prior.

I wanted them to get back together. Mateo was like my big brother, sure Yussef and I got along, but Mateo and I were more alike. He hurt my sister though and I couldn’t convince her to give him a second chance, I wouldn’t. It was completely up to her.

Then there was Raymond. I know little about the guy, but I could tell he was really into her. That creepy yet cute smile he wears while looking at her is enough to tell me that or I could be wrong and he’s actually thinking of ways to murder her.

I could now see the cafe, which made me increase my speed. All I want is for Anika to be happy, but I will confront her later after I’m high off desserts.

Anika Vargas

          I close the door behind me and was greeted with a kiss, more like surprised with a kiss.

“Hey,” I say as soon as Ray pulls away.

“Hello Hermosa. I got an interesting call today,” He wraps a towel around my shoulders and brushes my hair from my face.

His dark brown eyes stare into mine for a while before he took my hand, leading me to the kitchen area.

I raise a brow confused, “And what was so interesting about this call?"

He gave me a small smile once we were seated, “It was your mom."

It was like my heart was in my throat from the sudden panic I felt. Why would my mom call him, and why does he seem happy about it? How did she even get his number in the first place?

“My mom?” I say.

He chuckles, “You look more nervous than I did when she called and introduced herself. There’s no need to be nervous love, she just wants to meet the man her daughter is dating."

That didn’t help one bit. What if they tell him about my divorce? What if it slips? I don’t want him finding out from them; I don’t want him to find out, ever.

“And you’re not nervous?” I raise a brow. He was too calm.

He reach out and took hold of my hand. “Your mom seem like a friendly person, your dad is the one I’m worried about.”

So am I.

“When will this be?” I ask instead of saying my thoughts out loud.

“Sunday afternoon, which is great since my boss and the little guy are flying out to LA.”

The mention of Mateo made me wonder if he talked to Ray about what he said he would. I didn’t get a chance to see him today, his assistant was the one who told me he could watch Luca for the rest of the day and he was also the one who dropped him off this morning.

“Great,” I say awkwardly.

Ray stood abruptly and pull me up with him, “Go and get changed love, wouldn’t want you getting ill from those wet clothes."

He leans down and peck my nose causing me to blush, “I’ll have dinner ready by the time you get back.”

I wrap my arms around his neck and peck his lips,"You’re so sweet."

He snakes his arms around my waist and gives me one of those cute smiles, "Shh love, that’s our little secret."

I couldn’t help smiling more, but as soon as I remember what I’m hiding it went away. I feel guilty for hiding it from him. Ray is a good man and I wouldn’t want him finding out that Mateo is my ex husband from anyone else.

Giving him a small smile I pull away, I will have to tell him soon just not right now.