15

Mateo Haynes

                     "Harry, Tara will be stopping by to pick up the boys. I need you to wait with them until she arrives."

She texted me earlier. It wasn't something she did on the regular, only when it has something to do with Dontae. She wanted to know if I will allow Luca to sleep over. It was the weekend and my sons were getting along great. Dontae wants Luca to stay at his house so they can play together and he can show Luca his boat collection.

That intrigued me and I wouldn't mind seeing my son's collection one day. When I was growing up I had a car collection, thanks to my Uncle who bought them for me. Giovanni also enjoyed collecting cars, which is why I assume he started his brand. I wonder if my son loves boats as much as his cousin loves cars. It would be great to see him start his own company one day.

"Should I bring them to the parking lot now, Sir?" Harry ask while looking at the boys who were busy playing with Luca's toy trains.

We arrived at the penthouse a few hours ago. The boys slept the entire flight so they had a lot more energy than I did. Which is also the reason I'm having Harry bring the boys to meet Tara. I didn't have the energy to deal with her nonsense today.

Every time we saw each other she would bring up something for us to argue about. It was childish and tiring.

"Yes, she will be here in five minutes." I stood from the couch and walk over to the boys. "I also want you to go to the grocery store and buy all of Luca's favourite. Drop by the house and give it to Lulu."

Lulu is the maid. I'm sure Tara will leave the boys with her while she does whatever women like her did in their spare time. During the years I had my men watch over Dontae, Lulu was the one who spent most of her time with him at the park. She dropped him off at school and even attended a few parent-teacher conferences.

Now that I think about it I should reward her. The woman was only twenty and didn't seem to have a life of her own. She spent most of her time with my son so it was only right for me to do a background check on her. She didn't have any family in the States and on her days off she volunteered to help out at the children's hospital. Impressive, indeed.

"Will do sir." Harry nods, he was doing more than he signed up for and if he continues like this he will become more successful in this company soon.

"Come on Dontae, make sure you have your tablet. Your mom will be here soon."

"Okay, Dad." I smiled at his reply. It felt really good to have him call me Dad. Initially, I wondered if he would get comfortable acknowledging me as his father. It is a great feeling that he did.

"Be a good boy," I say to Luca while ruffling his hair. Luca nods with a smile. I didn't have to warn him, Luca is the most well-behaved boy and it still surprises me considering his age.

When my cousins and I were around his age, we gave a lot of trouble. We even did when we were teens.

I hug both boys before they ran off to hold Harry's hand. As soon as the door close behind them I sat back on my couch thinking of what I discussed with my family. It was difficult not to think of it all the time.

Telling Anika what happened is the right thing to do, but I'm not sure how I will bring myself to do so. If she doesn't hate me already she definitely will feel that way about me now.

Anika Vargas

                  "Where are you going?" Raymond asks as I reach for the doorknob. I was trying to sneak out like a teenager so I wouldn't have to face him. He didn't have much work to do today and made sure he spent every moment with me. I was starting to feel like I would suffocate from all the attention he was giving me.

I've been trying to avoid him since he asked me to move away with him. He made it hard to do so, especially because I was staying at the hotel with him. I thought about going to my parents' house, but facing them wasn't an option either.

I have no idea what I was thinking. Coming here with a man I hardly know was the most reckless thing I have ever done.

I turn around to look at him. "I'm meeting Alana for dinner, I should be back in an hour or so."

Raymond frown. "I was thinking that we could go out for dinner. I'm sure Alana will understand.  You two spend a lot of time together."

I narrow my eyes at him. "She's my sister, Ray, what do you expect? We had breakfast and lunch together, so there shouldn't be an issue if I decide to go out and have dinner with my sister."

Raymond walks closer to me, places his arms around my waist, and pulls me closer to him. "I'm sorry sweetheart. It's just that I enjoy your company so much, say hello to Alana for me."

He leans down and kisses me.

                 I close the door behind me and lean against it. I can't believe I just lied to Raymond again. Mateo had texted me, saying we should talk. I figured it was about him asking Raymond what we had agreed on and how can I explain to him that I was on my way to see his boss?

I will tell him the truth, but right now dinner with my sister was the best excuse.

"Well, don't you look stunning."

I open my eyes to see Mateo standing before me, a whisky bottle in one hand, and an empty glass in the other. He was wearing a white t-shirt, gray shorts, and black house slippers.

Seems like the whisky had gotten to his head. I was far from stunning at this moment. My hair wasn't the neatest and I was wearing one of Alana's Tupac Shakur shirts that I stole, with a short jeans skirt and my black Tory Burch sandal.

"Why did you invite me over?" I leaned off the door and place my small clutch on the sofa before taking the whisky bottle from him before he could pour himself another drink.

Mateo only drank like this when he was stressed and it is not good. I know he is better than his late father, but it still scares me when I see him drinking like that. Even if we are no longer together, I cared for him and also Luca's wellbeing.

I could feel his grey eyes watching me as I go over to the kitchen sink and got rid of the whisky.

"Moonshine why would you do that?"

Ignoring the name he called me, I walk over to the sofa and patted the space next to me. He seemed hesitant but sat next to me after about a minute. Something about him seemed off like something was weighing him down.

"Are you alright, Mateo? You're not dying are you?"

He chuckled even though I was very serious. "Not for now, love."

Before I could say anything he took my hands in his. Feeling his fingers intertwined with mine reminded me of the night he proposed and seeing him in this distraught state, made me a bit nervous.

"There is something I have to tell you. You will probably hate me after, but you need to know the truth."

I wanted to tell him that even after what he did I don't hate him so there's nothing he could say now that will make me hate him, but instead I let him continue.

"I lied. I never cheated on you."