8

Mateo Haynes

             The scene before me made me halt. In all my years, I have seen nothing more perfect. Anika and Luca were fast asleep on the living room floor with three books opened beside them. Luca's tiny arm was thrown over Anika's chest and the other pillowed his head.

Raymond was waiting in their room for her but I couldn't find it in me to wake her up so instead I loosen my tie and make my way over to them and grab the bottle of brandy from the center table.

Taking a seat, I lean back in the sofa, reminiscing on what happened earlier. I wonder how I was going to give Luca the best upbringing; he knows his father died but won't he ask questions about his mother? I don't want him to feel like it was his fault why she did not want him.

"Bad day?"

I glance at Anika who was now sitting on the sofa next to me, I look around for Luca.

"You seem deep in thought, so I moved him to his room."

I sigh and took another swing from the bottle. "I'm celebrating."

I could feel her watching me, but instead of looking at her, my focus remain on the bottle in my hand. I should not have told her what I did last night. She was mine and I failed her, and now she seemed happy with Raymond.

"It doesn't seem like it."

"I signed the adoption papers earlier, Luca, is officially my son."

Anika snatch the bottle from my hand and place the lid back on, "Then why do you look like the world is on your shoulders?"

Her big brown eyes gaze at me, daring me to take the bottle from her hand. As much as I wanted to, I had work to do and things I needed to figure out. Drinking wouldn't solve anything.

"His mother is a bitch."

She chuckles softly. "I thought we both knew that after everything she did. Now tell me, what's new?"

"Why do you care?"

She shrug," Who said I care; I'm just curious."

I smirk at her. "It's obvious you do, moonshine. The question is why?"

Instead of answering, she trace the designs of the bottle with her fingertips.

"How did it go earlier with your father?" I decide to ask, she seems distracted, and that was always how she look after meeting her father. He loves her dearly, that's the only thing we have in common but their relationship is complicated because they don't see eye to eye.

She glances up at me with a small smile. "It doesn't matter, my problems aren't yours anymore."

I reach for her hand, she flinches and look at me with wide eyes but did not pull away like I thought she would.

"I know I hurt you moonshine, by destroying what we had, but we can still be friends, can't we? You may never trust me like you did before but trust that I will go to the ends of this world just to make you happy; no matter what."

The moment I saw the tears in her eyes it felt as if something inside of me broke and I couldn't help feeling angry at myself and foolish for what I did.

She blink it away and gave me a small smile, "He is so stubborn, he wants me to just drop everything and take over the Cafe."

"You did promise him you would," I remind her, "Am I the reason why you didn't?"

I watch as she place the bottle on the center table and brush a few pieces of her hair behind her ear, "Let's not talk about that."

I let go of her hand and nod. What I'm about to suggest was a bit hard considering it will only hurt me seeing her almost everyday being happy with another man, but I did promise her that I will do whatever it takes to make her happy.

"Is it because of Raymond?"

"Mateo we don't have to talk about this."

Ignoring what she said I continue,"I'll make him the manager of the local branch, therefore you will be able to keep your promise to your father. Not only that but you will be able to see your family more often."

"That's kind of you, but at the same time it's ridiculous. How can I make a man I only met a couple of weeks ago drop his entire life in Spain and move here just for me?"

"Nothing about that is ridiculous moonshine, if a man cares enough for a woman then he will drop everything just for her. Even if it means moving far away from his mommy."

She chuckles, "What's that suppose to mean?"

I relished in the way her face takes on a whole other glow when she smiles. "Come on moonshine, you're dating the man you should know how much of a mommy boy he is."

She nod with a small smile. "I think it's cute and if my memory serves me right I can recall stories of you clutching to your mother's feet whenever she had to leave the house."

I frown at the memory. "That damn Bentley, he shouldn't have told you that. I was ten and my father was a monster."

"Don't speak ill of your cousin and I believe he said you were twelve," She tease.

"She was the best mother a boy could have," I told her remembering how my mother would throw her body in front of me and protect me from the wrath of that monster. He showed us no mercy and the fucking bastard took her life before taking his own.

I remember my uncle, Hakeem decided to take Gio and Bent out that day and they invited me along. Initially I labeled it as the best day of my life considering my father never did anything nice for us, but later that day a gruesome sight met me as they carried the body of my mother out of the house.

"I'm sorry I brought it up," Anika says sounding closer than she was before. I glance at her to see that she had indeed moved closer.

It wasn't safe to sit this close to her when all I wanted to do was hold her close, so I stood and run my fingers through my hair.

"It's fine moonshine," I say with my back turn to her. Therapy was helping but I wasn't going to tell her that. "I don't want to keep you here any longer when you have someone waiting for you."

I turn around to look at her and see that she was watching me the whole time like a confused little rabbit. "I'll talk to Raymond tomorrow about what I mentioned."

Anika stood from the couch and grab her bag. "I don't feel comfortable doing this, Mateo."

I smirk at her and took a step closer. "Comfortable doing what, love?"

She roll her eyes at me and slap my torso. "You know what I mean."

Before she could retreat her hand I took hold of it and stare into her gorgeous brown eyes so that she believes the words I utter next. "I'll talk to him for you, see this as a test. If he doesn't take my offer then he's an asshole who doesn't deserve you."

"Thank you, Mateo." She stood on her toes and place her soft lips against my cheek.

It was a quick and friendly kiss but that did not stop my heart from beating wildly in my chest or the goofy grin from taking what seem like a permanent place on my face even after Anika walk out the door.

Dedicated to all my lovely readers, you make me smile even on my darkest days.💖