4

Anika Vargas

             "Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes," Alana says the moment she opens the door and see Raymond standing on the other side.

She practically interrogate me about my date with Ray early this morning since she was sleeping when I return sometime after eleven last night.

She was eager to meet him for some reason and rush past me the moment the door bell rang.

"Don't mind her," I walk past her to give him a hug. His arms went around my waist and he held me a little longer than necessary before pulling away.

"This is my little sister Alana," I tell him as Alana stood with her hello kitty duffle bag looking at him, "Alana this is Raymond."

"It's nice to meet you Alana, you can call me Ray," he held his hand out which Alana ignore.

"Uh huh, well Ray I hope your intentions for my sister are as good as your physical appearance because I've dried her tears too many times already and before I let someone hurt her again I'll do the hurting first."

I watch as Ray put his hand in his pocket and nod his head at Alana like a child being scold. Alana boldness was not a surprise to me, that's just her personality. She is valiant, demanding and a bit of a troublemaker; even though she resembles an Angel.

I give Ray an apologetic look. "You have my word. My intentions for your sister comes from a good place."

"We'll see," Alana says with a sly smile.

I roll my eyes at her then look down at Lola who is sitting on the sofa minding her own business. I pick her up and walk over to Ray, "This is Lola I hope you don't hate dogs or maybe allergic."

As the words left my lips Lola looks up at him and clench her teeth together before she starts barking. I wasn't surprise by her behaviour, she was a bit like Alana. Probably why they got along so well.

Ray moves away quickly and stare at my innocent baby in horror as if she was a green monster with fangs.

"That's interesting," Alana says  as she walks over to me and take Lola from my arms.

"Don't worry she normally gets that way when she meets new people, she'll warm up to you eventually," I tell him hoping that he would feel better.

         Ray dropped us off at Triple A before leaving for work. I glance at Alana before we both make our way inside.

The scent of freshly baked desserts and pastry was the first thing that greet me. The smell was magnificent and brought back memories of my mom teaching my sisters and I how to bake. My favourite memories are the ones when she received large orders for weddings and parties; and we would help her to decorate the desserts and get to eat the remaining frosting.

A few people were standing around and two girls stood behind the counter in their lime green Triple A shirts.

My eyes met similar ones the moment I look at the woman at the cash register. Her dark curly hair is in a messy heap on top of her head and her light brown eyes are filled with happiness. 

"My babies!" She says leaving the cash register to walk towards us.

"Hi mom," Alana and I said in unison.

She pull us in a hug before stepping away to take Lola from Alana arms, "Look how lovely you two have grown. It's been so long since I've seen you both."

"Don't exaggerate mom you saw us a few months ago when Akira gave birth," Alana says.

"I saw you in person Alana, your sister here was on the screen of that damn computer because she wasn't even in the states. Never mind that; let's take a seat, your father will be so happy to see his girls."