22 | SECRETS

TW: brief mention of neglecting food (i know this is oddly specific, but just in case.), mentions of physical abuse (hint at rape, but never stated, or endured).

A/N: this chapter is the finale... i hope you enjoy every moment of dreamlight in this chapter!

make sure to go back and check you have read '21 | SURPRISE' first! notifs weren't sent out!

____________________________________

— DREAMING is something you often did without fault, many nights filled with adventures of your future self, or the darkest memories of your past.

It seemed as though lately all you had were nightmares, terrible horrors that had you waking in a sweat, clutching to your chest as you try to take in as much air as you possibly could.

Nightmares had been a side effect of everything between you and Jason, a constant reminder of the pain he'd left you in.

But, as the sun begins to shift into the sky and the birds chirp happily in the trees below your apartment windows, you find yourself having a nightmare-free night.

Your body reacts before your eyes do, limbs stretching and experimenting with the day, deciding whether it's worth getting yourself up, or spending the rest of the day in bed.

There's a peaceful atmosphere to the room, with no buzzing of the fridge or whir of the heater.

In fact, there's none of the usual sounds that sleeping in the living room brings...

Eyes opening abruptly, you're met with a lopsided view of your monitors from across the room, your PC just in sight, tucked neatly under your desk.

You're too lazy to move your head, but your eyes scan over your surroundings, confirming your suspicions that you are indeed, sleeping in your own bed.

For the first time in three months.

Your body starts to stir, finally deciding to investigate the cause for your sudden bravery, fidgeting slightly.

A small tug pulls at your hand, eyes squinting to realise your arm is hanging off the side of the mattress.

Oh god.

Peering over the edge, you're met with Clay sprawled across your bedroom floor, his hand holding yours beside his face.

It seems as though your peaceful night of sleep had clouded the memories of Clay showing up on your doorstep last night.

It's all a bit of a blur, your body having been exhausted as Clay had cradled you in his lap, sitting on your gaming chair as you watch him beat the game, giggling tiredly until the sun had came up and the birds had begun to chirp loudly.

It had been a whirlwind of emotion, leading to you passing out in bed, your lover not wanting to overstep any boundaries.

Sure, he would have loved to have continued to hold you throughout the night — But he wasn't sure if his one night of seeing you in person warranted him being able to sleep in the same bed as you.

He'd managed to get you back, he wasn't going to lose you again.

In your state of sudden remembrance you seem to tug your hand a little harshly, which wakes him, causing you to groan rather loudly.

"Shit- I'm so sorry, you can go back to sleep-" You rush out, hushed, watching as Clay stretches himself out, his eyes fluttering open to stare up at you.