Chapter 6

BRIAR POV

Theo looked even more intimidating then when I had last seen him. He looked stronger and more powerful now. I'd barely made any eye contact with him since the ceremony and he'd barley spoken to me either, so I suppose we were even. The moment that I first saw him my heart stopped and I immediately felt myself begin to panic. It was only once I reminded myself of Alison's warnings that I was even capable of breathing normally again. 

I stared down at the ring on my finger. I was officially a married woman. It sounded so crazy to think of myself in such a way. I was a wife. I had a husband. God it was strange! 

Theo had left me a while ago at the table while he went and spoke with the guests. I didn't know anyone of course. So instead I stayed here, sat down and out of everyone's way so that nobody came and spoke to me. The last thing that I wanted was these people's attention yet the massive, white dress that I wore made that hard to avoid.

I felt so overwhelmed here. I had gone from being around absolutely no-one to suddenly being surrounded by a sea of unfamiliar faces. Yet none of them seemed to be interested in me. That didn't surprise me since I was now just another one of Theo's accessories. Something to look pretty next to him, no doubt.

"Briar."

My head snapped up to the figure before me. Theo. 

"Yes?"

He helped me up from my chair and placed a hand on the small of my back, guiding me to walk with him.

We said our goodbyes to the guests, although it was Theo who did most of the talking. I did not feel at all comfortable in speaking to any of these strangers, knowing that if they were involved with the Embersons then they would be dangerous. 

I followed him out of the reception hall and through a few corridors and lifts before I figured out that we were in a hotel and presumably staying the night. I wondered momentarily how much this had all cost him. Possibly millions looking and both my outfit and all of the expensive food and drinks that were at the party. Let alone the hotel, our room certainly wasn't cheap.

Theo gestured for me to sit on the bed and of course, being the obedient wife that I had been trained to be, I sat and waited for my next order. He, on the other hand, took his place on a chair in front of a small table with various drinks and glasses on top. He began to pour himself a drink and I took the opportunity to glance around at the new space. It was set up perfectly as a romantic suite for a loving couple, but we were anything but that. 

I turned my attention back to my husband to see that his eyes were already on me, watching me like a hawk. 

"Have you ever tried alcohol, Briar?"

He asked, not breaking eye contact with me the entire time. His gaze stayed fixed on me even when I tried to look elsewhere. I felt irritated by what he had asked me. I had been in his families' captivity ever since I was nine years old, of course I had never tried a drink before. And if the smug smirk on his face said anything, he knew that too. He was trying to annoy me, almost as if he was trying to get a rise out of me so that he could punish me more. I wouldn't let him see that he had gotten to me though. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. 

"No..."

My answer came out as a hushed whisper. I was far too scared to respond any louder, it was a miracle that I could even find the words to speak to him at all, baring in mind how much my hands shook from fear. 

Suddenly Theo stood from his chair - like a phoenix rising from the ashes. He moved smoothly towards me after swiftly picking up his glass on the way. When he was in front of me, staring intently, he handed me the glass. I took note of how his neck strained to look down at me from his tall stance, while I sat on the bed. My entire body was trembling at this point, yet he remained calm.