Chapter 13

BRIAR POV

Theo had given the waitress the money for our food, along with what looked like an extremely generous tip. When he stood up, I took that as my que to stand with him so that we could leave. It wasn't until we were out the door that I started to be filled with regret, the bitter-sweet kind.

This was my first time out in the public in years. That also meant that it was my first real chance to escape, possibly my last. You never knew what Theo was going to do, he was unpredictable and there was every chance that this was my one and only chance to get away from him. Maybe this was my final breath of fresh air before he'd lock me away in his mansion forever and never let me leave that torturous place. My point was, I had the opportunity to escape, or at least try, and I didn't take it. I felt stupid and weak. But at the same time, my brain was telling me that I'd in fact done the right thing. I mean, what could I have done? Asked the wait staff for help? Of course not, Theo never left my side the entirety of the meal and I could guarantee that if he was allowing me to step foot in that place, that everyone in there had been fully vetted by his men. Both to ensure that we were safe and nobody would attack us but I'm sure that they all would side with Theo and tell him the moment that I tried anything. I couldn't blame them. Theo would kill them with no mercy if anything happened to me in their company. The public would have been no help either, they were too far away for me to reach. It seemed as if the restaurant had been so secluded on purpose.

I suppose if I had a pen I could've written something on a napkin, but I couldn't write anyway so at this point all of the 'what if's' seemed rather pointless to ponder over. The opportunity was already gone. I'd blown my shot.

The whole thing truly was bitter-sweet, for if I left Theo I knew I'd have been caught eventually and punished greatly, at least now I was safe and in his favour. However, that may have been my one and only chance, now I was doomed to a lifetime of misery with Theo. Not even attempting to escape proved my submission to him further. I was like some sort of trained pet. I'd gotten so used to being kept on a tight leash that I no longer needed to be told what I could and couldn't do. It was a second nature to me now.

"Briar, here."

Theo took my arm and began to lead me off in another direction.

"Where are we going?"

I whispered, wanting to test the waters before I became too overconfident with my words. Usually Theo didn't appreciate my questions and while I didn't want to screw up the evening, I also wanted some answers. We'd passed the drop off point so I could assume that we weren't leaving just yet. But we'd already eaten dinner so where could we possibly be going now?

"Shhh, stay by my side, it's busier here."

That was my que to keep my mouth shut, as suspected he wanted me to stay quiet until he spoke to me.

We'd obviously been in the restaurant for a long time because the sun was setting and it was getting darker. I hated the dark, it scared me. Not the dark itself though, more so what was within it. The unknown terrified me, not knowing what was waiting to snatch you up. Or perhaps the fear had just been triggered by the countless times I'd wake up in terror after having nightmares, wanting nothing more than to be held in my mothers arms, but instead I'd find myself alone in the dark.

Theo was right about one thing though. It was getting busy.

I could see what felt like hundreds of people all charging towards us from a few yards away. Subconsciously my pace faltered, and if it weren't for Theo dragging me then I would've stopped walking all together. My heart started to race slightly and I felt panicked. This was a lot of people. I hadn't been around this many people in....in forever. And I didn't like it.

Just as we were about to merge with the large crowd, I grabbed Theo's muscular arm, attempting to pull him back. I didn't want to walk through that many people.

"No...no...Theo I don't want to..."

I murmured but he didn't even spare me a glance before pulling me along again. Why wasn't he listening?

The moment that we began to walk through all the people the world shifted and I felt like I was going to die. My body was close to Theo's but shoulders kept nudging past me, knocking my feeble body. Each time a stranger's body collided with mine I felt more air get knocked out of me. Nothing was overly violent about their movements but I couldn't handle this much contact. My breathing became more laboured, all of these people..... they were stealing my oxygen! I couldn't get enough of it and now I felt hot. Too hot, as if I was wrapped in plastic and left in a sauna to roast. My feet faltered repeatedly and I was practically reliant on Theo now, clutching onto him for dear life. It felt like we were wading through thick mud, getting stuck amongst so many frantic people.

I couldn't focus on why it was so busy, tourism or something like that. I no longer cared where Theo was taking me either, I just had to get out.

Tears filled my eyes and I felt a line of sweat appear on my now clammy forehead. It was too dark now. I couldn't see people, just silhouettes and vague features. That only alarmed me more. Who were they? Anyone in this crowd could grab me and hurt me!

"Theo!"

I called slightly louder and he just continued.

I could no longer hide my emotions, the evidence of my fright leaked down my cheeks in ugly tears.

"Stop it! STOP!"

I screamed, tearing my arm out of his hold, wrapping my head with my newly freed arms. I crouched down on the floor, positioning my head between my knees so that I could block out the world, the noise and the people. So that I could focus on breathing. In....out....in....out. It wasn't working! God....why wasn't it working?

I felt a squeeze on my arm and I could tell by the grip alone that it was Theo. I couldn't deal with his compulsive need to control the situation right now. All of my so called 'training' and 'obedience' to Theo went out of the window in a single moment. I was too panicked to conform to his expectations, my only care was about getting oxygen into my burning lungs, which currently felt as if they were on fire. That fire was spreading too, throughout my entire body. Everything was hurting with searing pain.

"Briar listen to me...I want you to breath for me...okay?"

I shook my head, couldn't he just stop for one moment! I knew that I had to breath, I wasn't some imbecile for Christ sake!

"Okay, Briar I'm going to lift you up."

In...out...in...out....JUST BREATH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! Why wasn't it working? I felt so light headed now, as if I was going to pass out at any minute. Where was Jona with his bloody 'calming' tea when I needed it. If there was ever a time I'd be grateful for that it'd be now.

I felt my body being lifted up off of the ground. Theo was holding my body close to him, my chin resting on his shoulder. As we walked out of the crowd I lifted my head for a mere second, only to see the most beautiful scene before me.

The beach. It was stunning. The setting sun hung above the sea in a perfect manner so that the waves glistened like diamonds under it's orange, golden rays. Woah. A final thought passed my mind before exhaustion took over my body and I finally gave in to my much deserved sleep. Was this where Theo was taking me?

Hey guysssss!! I know, I know...it's been weeks. I'm sorry about the long wait for an update and I'm not going to pretend I have an excuse...I was just lacking any inspiration or motivation to write. BUT I FINALLY DID IT! YAY!! Anyway, thanks for all of your patience and I will try and get back onto a better update schedule. I also apologize that this chapter is quite short, I didn't want to pad it out with boring crap but wanted to focus on Briar's panic attack! Fun Fact- I actually hate the beach (unlike Briar) and I used to try and get out of family holidays when I was a kid because I genuinely would have rather stayed with my grandparents then walk on sand and swim in the sea! 

Thank you- theatramentouswriter

WORD COUNT- 1456