Chapter 24

BRIAR POV

I enjoyed sleeping for the same reason that most people with nothing left do. It's an escape. An escape from the cruel true nature of our world. An escape from the darkest fears and the dangers that lurk in every corner. Because in our sleep, we find dreams. Little bursts of light that are capable of carrying us away from the darkness that we really live in. I loved dreaming. I loved anything that had the potential to provide me with even just a temporary parting from Theo.

That's why the suicide was perfect- It wasn't temporary.

However it wasn't like a dream, I'd never wake up. And it would just be nothingness....forever.

But it no longer mattered exactly what it was and what it would do or mean for me because it hadn't worked.

I was still here. Still miserable, still pained, still the devil's property.

Still.

Waking up to a world I thought I'd finally left felt strange. I feel the crumpled bed sheets around me and one of the miniscule silk nightgowns that Theo always made me wear to bed. It all felt so familiar yet strange as only last night was I preparing myself to say goodbye to all of this. But here we were. Back at the start.

I could even sense him in the room. And sure enough- when I peeled open my eyes- there he was, sat on the chair right across from the bed. He was already fully dressed in a dark button up shirt with black slacks and his polished shoes. His hair was neatly combed and slicked with the perfect amount of gel so that it didn't look greasy but still had a glossiness to it. The man looked sexy as always but there was still a haunting darkness to his glare.

"Good morning."

Instantly my pulse rose and I could feel the panic brewing within me. That was not a simple, well meaning greeting. I knew that much was certain because nothing with Theo was ever simple or well meaning. Every word, every action had a deeper intention or motive behind it.

"What? No response? I thought after last night's games you may have been more eager to please this morning."

Don't move. Don't say anything.

"Well no bother... I imagine that my plans for the morning may prompt you to find your voice again."

He rose from his chair, slowly making his way towards me. As soon as he sat, he grabbed my face in a painfully harsh grip, sneering his latest threat.

"Though I have to admit.... maybe I'd prefer you this way... silent, submissive. Maybe I should take that tongue of yours. You seem to be awfully crude with your choice of wording lately and I do not appreciate your tone. What do you think, hmm?"

"You're scaring me...."

"Good."

I felt a shiver run down my spine- literally. It was like the room had dropped in temperature all of a sudden by a few degrees. Either that or Theo was magically emitting the eerie iciness I suddenly felt into the room.

"Come. Our morning's activities are about to begin."

I followed Theo on a silent trek downstairs, feeling on edge the entire way down. However it was not until I realized that we were leaving the property that I began to panic. A car was waiting for us, along with several of Theo's armed men in their own cars too. Jona was also waiting for us.

"Where are we going?"

Theo ignored my question, simply pushing me into a seat and then buckling my seat belt for me. He and Jona began to speak about other matters and I soon zoned out of whatever they were saying, far too focused on where we were heading to and more importantly, what was in store for me.