Chapter 9

BRIAR POV

I had been married for two weeks now and yet another day was to be spent cooped up in the bedroom that now belonged to me as well as Theo. Though I suppose that if I was truly honest with myself, I'd find that I'd never really own anything. For I was Theo's wife, not by love. By force. I was his hostage, simply his. So really, I was no different to one of the chairs that he owned. A possession, something that he could do with as he pleased. I'd come to terms with that fact a long time ago.

I'd seen all that Theo was capable of and knew whole heartedly that I'd never escape from his clutches. I knew that I was his. And Theo took care of his things and never let anybody else touch or steal them. I suppose in some ways that meant that I was safe because he'd always protect me from evil and ill intentioned people. But then again, who would protect me from him?

No one, that was the answer. They were all too scared of Theo Emberson, the mighty Don. I didn't blame them either, who's to say that Theo wouldn't butcher and destroy these people's lives just like he had done to mine. It's a cruel world filled with even crueler people. Selfish people. I was no different, if I had the opportunity I would swap places with another girl in a heartbeat. If it meant that I'd be free, then I'd do it- no matter how selfish it was. From the outside I imagined that my life didn't look so bad. I was spoiled with clothes and expensive luxuries, lived in a stunning castle-like mansion and was married to one of the most powerful men in the country. But there was nothing stopping Theo from making my life a living hell. In fact he'd already done so before and there was nothing to say that he wouldn't do it again. He could starve me, beat me, break me. The possibilities were endless.

Whenever he spoke to me, it was as if he thought himself to be some sort of God. Like he was the most powerful being alive and had the power to do whatever he pleased whenever he wanted to. Of course, most people who hear of people like that say that their egotistical, narcissistic bastards who didn't actually have any power whatsoever and figured that the massive size of their wallets bought them some sort of immunity card when it came to the shitty parts of life. However that wasn't the case with Theo. Sure, his ego was ridiculously large and his narcissistic tendencies were beginning to make me feel sick, but powerless? The mighty Don Emberson was anything but that. He had people cowering before him on their knees everywhere he went. And I mean that both figuratively and literally speaking. People were terrified of him, and for a good reason. So everyone just obeyed him to avoid the inevitable pain that would follow any rebellious act.

And the newest member of his slave-like following was me.

Theo made it seem as though by marrying him I'd gained freedom, but in reality my life was no better now than it was a few weeks ago. The diamond ring that sat on my finger had made little change to my life. The same rules, routines and boredom followed. Only now I was to warm my husband's bed whenever he wanted to. He would occasionally grant me the luxury of allowing me to go outside with him. As if it were a reward. I felt like a dog. A dog who was being fed treats every time she behaved the right way towards her master. If I was obedient and listened to Theo then he'd take me out on walks, so long as I stayed by his side at all times and never strayed from the garden paths. He might as well just have put me on a leash at this point. I already had an invisible one.

I'd learnt a few things about him too. What he liked and disliked. He liked me to wear the stereotypical feminine clothing, like dresses but never jeans. He liked when I smiled at him whenever he greeted me but hated it when I spoke out of turn. I was only to speak when he asked me a question, although the majority of the time when he is in a good mood I'd speak up and ask questions regardless.

I'd learn more along the way, no doubt. I just hoped that I could do so swiftly so that I would save myself the pain of being punished for my wrong doings.