Chapter 12

BRIAR POV

When I awoke the next morning, Theo was already gone which led me to believe that today would just be another monotonous day filled with boredom. I was surprised by how well I'd slept last night, that must've been the best sleep that I'd had in days. My body felt completely refreshed and energized, a feeling that I simply was not used to. How on Earth had Theo managed to calm me down so much to the point where I'd fallen asleep so hard? He was the reason for all of my stress, so perhaps it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I would just have to continue reminding myself of who he was and what he'd done.

A maid came through the door, empty handed which was odd because usually she'd bring me breakfast when I woke if Theo wasn't staying.

"Ah, Mrs Emberson, you are awake I see."

She smiled lightly and stood a small distance away from me with her hands clasped in front of her.

Theo's staff were like robots, nothing short of perfection was acceptable to him. He would only recruit the best of the best and even then, they were under constant scrutiny so that none of them would ever betray him. It was the main reason why I never had a chance of escaping. There were no weak links. Everybody was one hundred percent loyal to Theo and I knew that they'd never help me because it'd mean facing him afterwards. I suppose that I couldn't blame them, I can only imagine how awful the consequences would be if they helped me leave this place.

"Yes I am awake. What time is it?"

The maid- who's name I still didn't know- had moved over to the windows so that she could open the curtains. Light came pouring into the room and it almost made me forget about how dark this place truly was. Almost.

"It is one in the afternoon, Mrs Emberson."

Oh my God... I really had slept in late.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, is Theo still here? Why didn't anyone wake me?"

I flipped the covers off of my body and got out of bed so that I could get up properly and apologize to Theo. I had never slept in this late before so who knows how he'd react, though I can't imagine he'd be happy about my late start. He liked to eat together and wouldn't be thrilled about me just lying around all day.

"No Miss, it's okay. In fact, Don Emberson is going to take you out for a late lunch. He would like you to be ready within the next hour. Is this okay Miss?"

"Yes...that's great. Thank you."

I couldn't contain my excitement once the maid left the room. Out! He was taking me out of this place! For the first time since I was nine years old, I was going to be able to go out and see the world! Of course I'd been out briefly for our wedding but this time was different. I would be able to walk amongst real people, see society again. It wasn't going to be a room filled with Theo's friends and equally dark business people, but normal human beings!

I practically sprinted through my 'morning' routine, so excited about what was finally about to happen. I had waited years for this moment and could no longer contain the anticipation that was coursing through my veins.

Inside the closet, there was a light blue dress hung up along with a pair of matching heels and a denim jacket, indicating to me that this was what Theo wanted me to wear today. I had never rejected his outfit choices for me, partially because I was scared of what he'd do if I defied him but mainly because he had good taste anyway. Better than I did. After all these years, being under his control, I don't even know how I'd go back to making such mundane decisions on my own. It's funny, what dependence does to a person.