Chapter Twelve

"That... that's not what it looked like..."

"In what respect?" He asked, his voice low. 

I scratched the back of my head. "Well, for one thing, me and him, we aren't dating anymore."

"Except he is the boy you imagined while on your knees before me."

Ah, he remembered that, I guess not massively surprising considering the fact had he had existed for who knows how long, his memory was probably better than mine. 

"I did..." I said slowly. Why was I even defending this? Shouldn't I be weirded out by him staking some kind of claim on me without even bothering to ask me out? Was I just letting this guy push me around because he was the most impossibly sexy man I'd ever seen and also Death?

I took a deep breath. "Look, I think it's fair to say that we aren't dating." I gestured between the two of us. "So, I really don't see why I should be justifying talking to the guy. You don't have a reason to be mad at me!"

He raised a brow, and suddenly he looked more deadly than ever in the most unintentional way. "You are mine. That means more than me 'asking you out'." He stated, putting 'asking you out' in air quotes with his left hand, my eyes drawn back to his elegant hand with those long black black nails.

I shook my head firmly. "That sounds nice, great, really." I said honestly. "Because I'm not gonna lie and say I don't think you are way, way above my league, but I'm also not going to just date anyone, especially not someone who hasn't even asked me out in the first place."

"We aren't negotiable-" He started to say before I continued speaking over him.

"And you know what? I'm pretty sure me meeting with my ex shouldn't concern someone who isn't my boyfriend. I'm not mad or anything... I mean if anything I'm flattered you, or anyone, cares. But I really don't think you can just tell me who I can sleep around with-"

His glare remained fierce as he spoke over me, having no trouble doing so with a particularly loud, threatening voice. "Do not try to make me angry..." He said quietly. "Lake. It will not stand well for you." Coming from the strangely tall, handsome figure who was emanating that bizarre pitch black mist that looked, somehow, ready to kill, or at the very least maim, I found myself falling silent immediately.

I frowned, looking up at him with wide eyes, was it alright to want him not to be mad at me? As in, aside from the tingle of awareness that was running around in my chest that was trying to desperately warn me out of doing, or saying anything stupid to him.

"You can't punish me..." I insisted.

He smiled, but he seemed angry as he smiled. "Of course I can, and I know myself to have the ability to decide whether or not you like it or learn from your mistakes..."

I felt a shudder run through me, the grip he had on the back of my neck tightening, it felt like he was closing in on me somehow and that was a bizarrely intoxicating thought. I closed my eyes for a second, taking a deep breath.

"Well, but I didn't actually break your rules..."

"You were about to." He said slowly, dark eyes glittering as they watched me.

I shook my head. "No..." I looked down. Was I?

I remembered Zack's face. The way he kissed me sometimes in the morning and looked after a shower with one of our towels with their ugly patterns on them wrapped around his waist. Good, was the answer. But the more I observed that memory the more it compounded together with the interactions we'd had since the breakup, as well as the actual event that I really shouldn't be forgetting.