Chapter Sixteen

"I see." His voice was cold as he listened.

I took another crisp but it tasted like nothing but oily salt as I tried to swallow it too quickly. "I don't know what to say. I didn't do it, I really didn't. I feel sick and I want to leave but I can't."

His eyes burned holes into the side of my neck even when he didn't say anything. I could tell he believed me without a doubt, but perhaps he had a reason for that besides knowing me better than Zack, I hoped he did. But he also didn't question the fact that I was staying in a place and situation that was more and more likely to turn volatile the longer I stayed.

Instead he slid his hand around my neck and pressed a soft kiss against my lips.

Was it madness to think that he drank in some of my anxiety with it? PDA was usually never my thing but the way he guided me towards him and took what he wanted made me feel so much smaller, in a good way. A light fluffy feeling building inside me.

I inched closer to him on the couch, liking the way my leg felt pressed up against his.

And as I looked out around me and saw the sideways glances of a couple people pretending not to notice us, I realised I was smiling slightly and had to manually straighten out my lips.

A while later Christian came and sat down beside us, nodding at Death and smiling at me.

"How's it going Lake?"

"Good." I smiled.

"Is it?" Death asked, crossing his legs and squinting at us, the picture of royalty.

Christian looked at me in surprise. "Something happened?"

I waved my hands. "No, no. It's been great. Again, happy birthday mate."

He frowned, looking over in the direction where I had briefly spotted Zack and back at me. "You can tell me if something's bothering you."

I nodded, giving him a friendly smile. "I will, I will."

"Is it about Zack?" He asked.

From his demeanour around me I surmised he didn't know what was going on between the two of us and I was happy knowing this. I wanted it to stay that way because I wasn't convinced he would believe me and be on my side any more, after all Mark had switched as quickly as anything and he'd known me for longer than either Zack or Christian had.

"I'm really fine, it's been great, fun." I said. "Thanks for letting me bring Clay."

"No problem." He grinned. "I'm glad to see you're moving on." He peeked at Death from around the side of me. "And, he's... Y'know..." He peeked again.

I cocked my head.

"Really, uh, good."

It took me a full moment to catch what he was getting at and I laughed, Death remained nonplussed. He didn't understand.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Very handsome. Way out of my league, I know."

He nodded, a faint redness to his cheeks. "Right."

"Something else?" I asked.

"Well..."

"Go on?"

"This is rude..." He said looking and Death and seemingly shrinking beside me when he was taller than me.

I shook my head. "Death is- Clay is rude, if he can dish it he can take it, what else is he?"

Death smirked. "I'd like to know."