Chapter Four

"Tell me." He said, all the danger of the world grating in his voice. "Who is your master?"

For once the fear was starting to clog up, over spill beyond what the alcohol was capable of protecting me from, gathering up at my throat, my Adam's apple stinging as I swallowed, trying to press it back down so that it wouldn't overwhelm me, take me and destroy me.

"I- I don't know..." I whispered, memories from my past that I had never paused to look back upon suddenly seemed to flit past in my brain, confusing me, frightening me. Strange thoughts I had had slipping up only to be swallowed back up again. Something was inside my brain, disassembling me, looking for something. My throat was clogged up. I wanted to cry out in fear.

"Who..." He said again, that poignant glare pinning me down, all I could see, bright red eyes and nothing else.

I could barely breath, I gasped. "I don't know." I whispered. "Please."

"You know." He insisted. "Tell me your master. Tell me their name. You know their name."

I didn't know, so it was a mystery as to why I cried out that random name that slipped into my mind as through from some long forgotten source inside me that I had never noticed but had apparently been sitting in broad daylight in my brain, I did not understand it one bit. "Anubis." I whispered, a rough quality in my voice, as though I had been screaming when I had not.

He reeled back. So fast it felt as though all the oxygen in my lungs returned all at once, the breeze around me suddenly returning into motion, the sounds of the forest twitching and whispering again.

His voice was grating, as though it had split in three. "Impossible." He whispered. "You lie..."

I looked up at him, his form seemed smaller now, harder to look at, but those dark red eyes were still visibly glaring at me.I was scared but I wasn't scared enough. The way he stood over me like that, tall enough to block out the light of the moon, I should have been terrified.

Suddenly there was a loud strangled sob that screeched into the air, the sound of it like grating nails on china, a strange broken sound that conveyed all the fear and horror in a single screech. So loud and desperate. I almost jumped out of my skin at the sound.

The tall dark man turned around, his robes, I realised, somehow had repaired themselves, though they remained frayed at the edges, and floating in the air, taking longer to move than the man himself.

He narrowed an eye. "Ah, I had almost forgotten about you." He said in the general direction behind him.

He turned around fully, facing whatever was producing those noises, the scythe in his hand seemed to grow taller as it gleamed, positioning itself just in the way of the moonlight.

"No!" He yelled. "Don't take me!" Came the strangled begging. "DON'T TAKE ME!!!"

The darkness shifted as he moved and I finally realised that laying beside the gravestone the man had been sitting on was the body of a mangled man, one eye rolling up towards his forehead while the other desperately focussed on the dark insidious man, completely missing me from his vision.

"This begging is all without consequence, you're only wasting time." He said in a low calm voice, a combination of disinterest and annoyance dripping from his words.

"No, no, no, no, no. PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME. Oh god, oh god, SAVE ME! I don't want to go, I DON'T WANT TO GO... Not NOW. SPARE ME!!!" Not a syllable was spoken without every particle of his everything going into, the desperation clinging to his voice as he scraped out every word as loud as he could, the way he screamed... it made my stomach turn.