Epilogue: Part I

"You know you should come through the front door more often." I mumbled, cuddled up beside him drawing a picture of something vaguely chest shaped on his chest lightly with my index finger.

Death lay back, his head on the lumpier pillow, he claimed not to notice the difference, but I could have sworn I'd seen him switch the pillows at least once.

"Exactly what does that achieve."

I moved to sit on his lap, loomed over him and kissed his cheek, my back twinged in pain but I liked being able to look at all of him. "I mean for one the neighbours would stop suggesting I'm secretly living here with someone."

"They ought to. You've been telling everyone that I live with you after all."

I smiled and nuzzled his neck, I never considered in the past just how delicious the smell of ash and metal could be. "Yeah, it's fun to do that."

I jumped when I felt something on my leg and looked. The little wispy tendrils of darkness that clung to him like an extra limb were wrapping around my ankles.

It continued up my leg. I shook it, felt it heading towards my thighs.

"Hey, hey." I pushed back, intending to get off of him. "I've got work."

He narrowed his eyes, and snaked an arm around my lower back. "Yes, with me. How many times must I tell you that I am your master. I will teach you all you need to know. This job is fleeting nonsense, and an insult to me."

I rolled my eyes. "You know what suckers say? Suckers say they left their job to work for their partner. That's embarrassing."

"I'm not just your partner I'm-"

"My master." I know. I kissed his cheek, his lips. "My master, the Grim Reaper. I get it. And I'm some kind of apprentice who doesn't get a wage and will never get promoted."

He turned a dark gaze one me, pulling me even closer with a tight grip. "Your human nonsense means nothing to me. You are drawn to it, it is a job you will fulfil regardless, why not submit sensibly and do as you are told."

"I do submit!" I laughed.

He continued glaring but there was a hint of humour in his eyes. "You know exactly what I mean. With all your work you haven't learned the first thing about laying wards yet. You cannot protect yourself without me."

"I can do both."

He said nothing, his hand sliding down shamelessly over my ass. The tickling of the black matter brushing the inside of my thighs causing my to jump a little.

"Work..." I hissed, pushing his chest, pointing at the clock. "I've only got thirty minutes."

Without blinking he casually reached out with one hand to smash the poor, cheap and slightly slow, antique, with a strength that almost crushed it into my bedside table.

"Death!" I complained, but was cut off when he wrapped his hand round the back of my neck and pulled me in, turning us over as he kissed me, climbing back on top of me.

"Wait..." I gasped, his long black nails running down my neck as he kissed me deeply, heated and dangerous. Kissing him was addictive. My I moved against his soft lips unconsciously as they drove down on mine, a taste that resembled wine on his lips, it was intoxicating. "Shit..." I groaned.

I was still sore from the night before, still tender in places, and yet just as quickly that heat was reigniting, that same interest brewing inside me. I wanted more and yet could barely breath with what I had.