Epilogue Part III

"Speak." He sounded pissed. I only ever called him when I was in some deep shit.

"I'm being chased... by one of those gremlin things..."

"You drew a ghost under your protection." He said at the same time as I spoke; "Also I have a ghost with me... Uh, yeah..."

"You need to call me when you find a ghost!"

"I am calling you!" I whined.

"Lake!" He scolded me in that dangerous tenor that suggested he too was interested in skinning me alive.

I frowned. "Ahhh... What's with that voice.... I'm too... Out of breath to be... Horny..."

He growled. "I'm near you, you'd better prepare an explanation." He sounded furious and hung up immediately.

Bah, I should have telepathically talked to him but it was so hard to turn off. What if I said something inappropriate like last time. He didn't forgive quickly even if it was accidental. It was why I insisted on getting him a phone.

"Death is coming!" I yelled back at the demon quickly gaining ground on us.

"I'LL KILL YOU BEFORE HE GETS HERE!"

"Ah, shit." I muttered. I guess that was an ideal solution.

They seemed to suggest that if I died then Death would die along side me. Although I didn't quite understand the specifics of it.

I had once asked Death why they wanted to kill him so badly.

He had replied simply. "They are a part of a select group that do not believe in death, in the morality of it. They believe that killing me would abolish the mechanism entirely. I can transport souls, execute them even, but I cannot cure the chronically cretinous."

"Keep running!" I shout at George who manages to slow down somehow. I needed to forget that he should weigh something so that I could properly pull him after me like a helium balloon.

The footsteps were closer now. My legs were burning and almost going numb. My back hurt like hell too, I wasn't in shape at all, every time I ended up getting chased I promised myself that next time, next time I'd hit the gym and fit up before these adventures.

The sky was pretty dark now, mostly red and pink strips of the sinking sun left to see, long dark shadows twisting back against the floor behind us.

My foot sank into the soil. It was uneven as hell, I was expecting my ankle to break before I got nibbled on by the demon.

"Sorry about your body!" I told George.

"Why?" He asked. "You think it's gone?" He seemed to be waking up a little better from his earlier stupor.

"I think we won't be able to find it at this rate, not before ol' Grim gets here." I wheezed heavily.

He sniffed. "I don't know... I can't really believe it still... maybe I'm a coma. Maybe this is a dream..."

"It isn't!" I growled.

"How do I know-"

"Quiet, quiet!" I groaned. "I can't keep talking and running." I tried to breath. My chest was burning. Since when was this earth so large.

"Yeah..." He watched me and started to get out of breath too, the adorable little idiot.

I couldn't run anymore, I saw a giant mass of darkness balanced perfectly in the trees, bounding towards us in the background and knew that was my darling, dressed in his work attire, probably looking particularly fuckable underneath all of that black.