Chapter 3

When we make it to my house I notice that no one is still here. Usually, Kadyn and his twin, Thea, get a ride home by our grandpa. I wonder how Kadyn got home then since neither Thea nor grandpa is here. I shift so I can open the front door to let my little brother and two mates inside. Kadyn glances up the stairs with a whine.

"Is it upstairs, Kadyn?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

He nods his head with another whine. I lead the way upstairs but instead of going to Kadyn's room, I go to mine to get some clothes on. Kadyn goes into his own room and I can hear him shifting as I get clothes out of my closet. I pull clothes on quickly before grabbing two pairs of sweats and turn around to find my two mates blocking the doorway as they stare at me.

"You guys can wear these," I say as I hold up the sweats. "I don't think I have any shirts big enough to fit you, though," I say as I glance back at my closet. I turn my head back to them when I hear them shifting.

"Thanks, gorgeous," Theo says as he crosses my room and takes one of the sweats from me.

"Yes, thank you," Alijah says next as he takes the other pair.

They both slip into the pants quickly and I notice they are much tighter on them than they are on me. Those are the biggest pairs of pants that I own and they are a bit baggy on me. Maybe I should have tried a pair of basketball shorts instead. I never thought of myself as being small, but when compared to Alijah and Theo I am practically a dwarf.

"So, my brother is sort of..." I pause to think of a way to say it without putting Kadyn in danger. They may be my mates but I'm still not sure how they will react about my brother being a freaking Elder. "He's special," I finally say. "And he can do things that others don't approve of. So, I'd appreciate it if you guys could keep anything that might happen between us,"

"My lips are zipped and locked," Theo says as he motions zipping his lips closed before locking them and throwing the key away. Alijah rolls his eyes at his brother before nodding to me and copying his brother.

I giggle at how stupid they already are. Stupid in a good way. They are a good stupid. A cute stupid.

I shake my head at them and then motion for them to follow me before leaving my room and going down the hall to Kadyn's room. I knock on the closed door.

"Kadyn?" I call. "Can I come in?"

There is silence on the other end but the door opens just slightly. Only half of Kadyn's face is visible as he hides behind the door. His room is dark and I realize he must have closed his curtains. I wonder what could be so bad that he's literally trying to hide. Everything he's ever done so far has been harmless. A floating object here, the random combustion there, an occasional invasion of privacy of mindreading. Once he made it snow in the kitchen and another time he made a thunderstorm in the living room. But nothing so bad that he's acted this way. Upset, sure, but never panicked.

"Can I come in?" I ask again.

He doesn't say anything as he opens his door and disappears into the dark room. I glance at my mates before entering the room. Again, they block the doorway as they stand in it. They look almost like guards. I snicker at the thought before I look around the room to find Kadyn sitting on the floor in front of his bed clutching his backpack to his chest. I move slowly to him and then kneel in front of him.

"Kadyn?"

He shakes his head and I realize he's crying again.

"Kadyn, I can't help if I don't know what's happened,"

He sniffles as he tightens his hold on his bag. "It happened at school," He repeats his earlier statement. "I-I didn't mean to do it! I didn't even know I could!" He cries out.