Chapter 1

"Alaska?" Someone taps me on the shoulder so I blink a few times to try and focus. I look over to find my little brother, Kadyn, leaning over the back of the couch to see what I'm doing.

"Yes?" I ask as I realize my iPad has gone to sleep on my lap. I wonder why I spaced out like that and for how long. At least thirty seconds since the iPad went to sleep on its own.

"Dad's been asking for you, what are you doing?"

I blink at the iPad a few times trying to remember just what I was doing, then I feel the AirPod in my ear and I suddenly remember what I was doing. I was attempting to watch the show Arrow but apparently, I paused it so the iPad went to sleep from inactivity.

"I was watching Arrow. Why does dad want me?"

I look back at him just in time to see his shrug. "I don't know, he was just asking for you to go outside, though,"

I sigh as I set my iPad on the coffee table in front of me before standing up to stretch. I've spent the last two hours on the couch watching Arrow so now my body is all stiff. I let out a yawn and one last stretch before heading to the back door. Kadyn follows right behind me. I don't know why but I have butterflies in my belly. I feel nervous for some reason and as I catch my reflection in the darkening window I run my fingers through my hair nervously. I've been feeling like this all day. I don't have anything to be nervous about, though, I haven't done anything wrong, I did all my homework and chores. So it's weird that I'm feeling like this.

I step outside onto the deck to find dad grilling steaks with grandpa and pappoús sitting in deck chairs. Papa is nowhere to be found but I know he's home somewhere. I don't worry about it, though, as I l take a seat next to grandpa on a free deck chair.

"Hey, dad," I greet him. "Kadyn said you wanted to see me?"

Dad nods as he glances over his shoulder to look at me. "Yeah, do you want to drop a plate off at Chases's? He's being all depressed without Kain there and Oliver fears he's not eating properly,"

"Sure," I say, eager to see my uncle.

"Here," Dad holds out a Tupperware with a steak, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and some mixed vegetables. As I get up to take them he then hands me another one with hot buttered rolls that are steaming up the glass container. "Don't get lost?"

I roll my eyes. "I know the way, dad,"

He laughs as he gives his attention back to the grilling steaks. "Don't be too long, dinner will be ready soon,"

"Got it," I say and head back inside for my shoes and hoodie.

It's already April but it's still chilly outside, not that it bothers us supernaturals, but I still like to wear my hoodies and coats. I'm way more comfortable wearing a hoodie or coat. No one ever comments on it, even in the heat of the summer.

I slip the black Nike hoodie on and then head out the front door with the food for my uncle. Uncle Chase lives in the Pack House with his mate, Kain, just a few miles into the forest. There's a nice foot-worn path leading from my house to the Pack House but I don't really need it since I know the way by heart. Even on the darkest night or in the middle of a blizzard, I'd still know the way. It becomes an instinct to always know which direction your Pack House is in. Even though I'm not a werewolf but a werecat instead, I'm still a part of the Newberry Pack so it's still ingrained in my entire being.

My parents moved me and my two younger siblings to the Newberry pack where my grandparents were members back when I was five-years-old. A Pack full of werewolves with the exception of a few humans who are mated to a few werewolves. My dad is a hybrid so he's part werewolf and part cheetah. It's dangerous being a hybrid, I honestly believe it's because hybrids are super strong and get the best of both worlds. But Hunters and other supernaturals try to hunt hybrids down and kill them. It took a long time for the Newberry Pack to accept dad as a hybrid.