Chapter 8

The school is hot this morning, or maybe it just feels hot because of how I left my mates. I really do feel bad leaving them with blue balls. Goddess knows I wanted to stay, but I cannot miss this exam. Alijah and Theo will appreciate me leaving them like that this summer when I only have to retake one exam and not two. Or even possibly summer school just to graduate.

And if I'm being honest, I'm a little nervous about mating. No, it's not because I'm inexperienced or I'm afraid I'll make myself look like an idiot, I've been preparing so that doesn't happen. No, I'm more concerned about my family knowing the moment they see me afterwards. Or knowing the moment it happens if it happens at home. I'm actually really hoping it doesn't take place in my house because I don't want my dad to get so worked up about it that he barges in to give his two sense. Honestly, I don't want anyone to smell what we're up to while it's happening, and the only way for that to happen is if we are away from my Pack.

I sigh as I open my locker and stare into it. Only three books remain inside, which I can turn in as soon as I get confirmation that I passed their exams. My Spanish book lives inside my backpack because I try to study whenever I get a chance. I may hate Spanish and not understand it, but I do study it a lot. Which is why it's so frustrating that I can't seem to get the hang of it. Honestly, I'm surprised I have managed to make it the end of the year without being forced to drop out. The only reason they haven't made me drop out was because our school requires a foreign language to graduate and all the other classes were full.

I grab my textbook for Marketing and then head off to homeroom. Shiro is already sitting in his usual seat in the middle of the room. I take a deep breath before squaring my shoulders and moving to my seat right next to him. We don't often get into arguments or fights, so it's extremely awkward right now. Even Shiro looks uncomfortable as he squirms in his seat.

We don't talk to each other as I pull out my Spanish book and bury my nose into it. I can't have Shiro distracting me while I study. Not that my studying will do much anyway, I obviously suck at it so much that studying does nothing. Shiro distracts himself by burying his own nose in a textbook. By the time the bell rang, people were staring at us curiously. Shiro and I are known to not shut up during homeroom. So, it was pretty unusual for us to sit in silence not even looking at each other.

Shiro and I parted ways silently after homeroom. He went to his class and I went to mine. We only share homeroom, Language Arts after lunch, and last period Government. So, I was able to go about my day relatively fine until lunchtime. Shiro and I share a lunch period which we spent the same as homeroom. I ate a fruit bowl with my head in my Spanish textbook while Shiro ate his sandwich with his head stuck in his own textbook. Then we silently walked to class together afterward.

I already passed this exam so it was a free period for us. And I decided that I had had enough of the awkwardness between Shiro and me. There is so much I need to tell him but I can't with this awkwardness hanging between us. So, I slowly peek out from behind my Spanish textbook to find Shiro doing the exact same. I quickly hide behind my book again, embarrassed that I got caught. Well, dammit, now what?

"I'm sorry," Shiro suddenly whispers.

I blink at the foreign words on my textbook that should make sense by now but still don't. Then, I slowly peek over the book again to find Shiro had shut his book and is looking at me. I sigh and do the same. It's not like I was retaining any of the information anyway. It's already been proven that I cannot learn Spanish on my own.

I sigh and shake my head. "Now that's just not fair,"

Shiro tilts his head to the side and blinks a few times. "What's not fair?"

I cross my arms over my chest in a pout. "I was going to apologize first,"

Shiro smirks. "Well, I beat you to it,"