Chapter 4

Alijah and Theo follow me into the kitchen where I proceed to grab the green grapes out of the fridge. Then I get out a bowl from the cupboard and pull some grapes off their stems to put in the bowl. I look over my shoulder at my twin mates who watch me silently. I wonder if they are always this silent or if it's just because they are unfamiliar with everything right now. Theo gave me the impression that he talks more out of the two, and Elijah is the more level headed one.

I lift a stem of grapes to show them. "You guys want any grapes?"

Alijah shakes his head politely. "No, thank you,"

Theo, however, grins wide and nods his head. "Yeah, of course. Thanks,"

"Cool, you okay sharing, or do you want your own bowl?"

"Sharing is fine with me," Theo answers.

I pull more grapes off their stems and then take the bowl to the sink to wash them when I decide I have enough grapes for the two of us. When the grapes are washed I put the bag back in the fridge and then take the bowl to the island and set it at the bar. Theo takes a seat next to me with Alijah on his other side. I pop a grape into my mouth as Theo takes one for himself.

"Alijah isn't going to eat any, he detests grapes, even grape jelly," Theo informs me with a snicker.

"Gee, thanks, Theo," Alijah mutters.

Theo grins wide. "Of course," He snickers again. "He was going to find out eventually,"

"I like knowing that," I say and both boys look at me. "I'll make sure never to feed you anything grape related. Any other foods I need to be aware of?"

"Hmm," Theo hums. "Pickles,"

"Pickles?" I ask for more clarification.

"Yeah, I hate pickles, but Elijah likes them,"

"Noted,"

"Salmon," Theo says next. "Elijah is like a cat when it comes to salmon, he could eat it every meal if allowed. I'm that way with cow. If it has cow I'll probably eat the whole thing within minutes. So, like, steaks, hamburgers, hot dishes, jerky especially. Things like that,"

"What about you?" Elijah asks. "Any particular foods you do or don't like?"

I nod my head immediately. "Tomatoes. I can't stomach even the smell of them. I can eat tomato sauce, though, but I prefer a white sauce or butter if I can. But, like chunks of tomato or slices, I won't touch them. I'm also not a fan of syrup. Sometimes I'll do like a maple syrup, but I prefer jam,"

"Jam on your pancakes?" Theo asks.

I nod my head. "And waffles and french toast,"

Theo looks to Elijah. "Got that? Jam, not syrup,"

"I got it," He chuckles.

"What do you like then?" Theo asks next.

"I love toast and jam. It's usually my go-to for a snack. Like, a buttered piece of toast and then slather some blackberry jam on it? Oh yeah, that's the good stuff right there,"

"He likes it so much we have to stockpile it every time the Farmers Market opens up," I nearly jump out of my skin at dads voice. I snap my head around to look at him coming in with Kadyn in tow. Kadyn still has the toad boy pressed into his chest. 

Kadyn presses his back against the wall as dad moves to the fridge. He then pulls out a slab of meat that he had thawing overnight. He doesn't say anything more as he moves around getting everything he needs to prepare dinner. I ignore him as I look to Kadyn again who stares at the floor, the toad boy looking around the room in more of a human way than a toad.