Chapter 19

Her eyes are still red rimmed when she gets home. But she's no longer crying. It seems she ran out of tears about an hour ago. She can't seem to keep her emotions in check no matter how hard she tries. But she knows she can't put off this conversation she must have with Emir. No matter how much she thinks about it, she realizes Melisa is right. Emir shouldn't miss out on his chance to raise his child because of Reyhan. He shouldn't be more concerned with her feelings than with Ayla's well being. She can't be selfish here.

"Reyhan?"

He jumps up and runs to her when she walks through the door. She knows Emine Anne called him to let him know where she was, but it looks like he was still worried about her. She falls into his waiting arms. And almost instantly her heart feels whole again. She had missed him all day. She wraps her arms around his waist and holds him tight.

"Are you okay?" he asks her, gently stroking her hair.

"Better now that I'm with you," she tells him. "Just hold me for a few more minutes."

She doesn't want to let go if this will be the last time.

"What happened? What did she say to you? I know she ran into you after she left."

"Let's sit. Let's talk," Reyahn says, taking him by the hand and pulling him to the sofa. "We have a lot to discuss."

"Not really," Emir says. "She's lying. There's nothing to discuss."

"Is she, though?" Reyhan counters. "Can you say for a fact that she's lying? Can you say for a fact that there's no way this could be true?"

"What are you asking me, Reyhan?"

He sounds angry. She just closes her eyes and sighs. This is harder than she thought it would be.

"Emir, I know you love me. I know you worry about hurting me. But Ayla is the important one here. We have to do what's best for her. If there's a chance you could be her father, then ..."

"Wait a minute," he says, holding up a hand to stop her. "You actually believe that nonsense Melisa was spouting. You don't believe me. You don't trust me."

"I do, Emir," Reyhan cries. Apparently she had more tears because they're back. "I trust you. I trust that you wouldn't do anything to hurt me. Even hide something like this."

"You think I'm lying," he says incredulously, rising from his seat to pace the floor. "You believe Melisa over me."

"I want to do the right thing," Reyhan says. "Can't you see that? I'm breaking my own heart to try to do what's best for you and Ayla. You two have to stay together. And if I have to get out of the way ..."

"What are you even saying?" Emir yells. He looks towards Ayla's door while trying to calm himself. The little girl doesn't need to hear them fighting. "You would leave me over this? Because Melisa lied about me being with her?"

"You two were together. You told me," Reyhan reminds him.

"Ten years ago, Reyhan. She left for America ten years ago. And I didn't see her again after that. Not until she showed up here. Right from the beginning I told you about her. I didn't hide anything from you. How can you think I'm lying to you now? How can you not trust me?"

"I'm sorry," she tearfully apologizes. "I just don't want you to regret being with me. If I cause you to lose Ayla, I would never forgive myself."

"And you think I would be able to forgive you if you leave us?"

"She'll have you. And she'll have her ... mother." Reyhan stumbles over the word.

"You're her mother, Reyhan," Emir says quietly. He goes to kneel in front of her when her wrenching sobs start to break his heart. He's still so very angry at her, but he can't stand to see her cry like this. "Don't cry, Baby."