Chapter 7

Emir looks out on his new city. It's not completely unfamiliar to him. He's been there for work on occasion. But it looks new from Reyhan's window at the clinic. He just wishes she were awake to see it too. But she's still in the coma. Although the transfer from the hospital in Istanbul went well and the doctors here seem optimistic about her recovery, he still worries about her. And even more so, he misses her. He feels like things were just really starting between them. And now she's like this.

"Wake up, Güzelim," he whispers to her. "I don't like what life is like without you."

Life can be funny like that. When he was trying to push her away and get her to leave, she wouldn't go anywhere. But now that he'd do anything to keep her, she's so far away that he can't reach her.

"So much time I wasted."

He'd do anything to get that time back.

So far every day here has been the same. The doctors come to examine Reyhan and she gets tests and specialized medications to help internally. Then the nurses and various therapists come to handle the external - bathing and dressing her as well as physical therapy to help keep her in good physical condition. The first few days Emir just stood aside and watched the physical therapy portion. But now he takes part in the therapy for her, making sure her muscles stay healthy and pliable. But also giving him a chance to stay as close to her as possible.

The nurses have been amazing. And also amazingly patient, especially with him and his constant presence and never ending questions. He spends nearly every minute at the clinic and has become very familiar with them all. Half are in love with him, not only because of his good looks and his wealth. But also because they see how devoted and utterly in love he is with his wife. He even has a corner of her hospital room set up as office space for him to handle any work that comes up. He's been lucky to be able to work mostly virtually. It's especially helpful that he has Zafer to go back and forth between Istanbul and Ankara, so work continues to be done. He doesn't know what he'd do without Zafer. He's made it possible for Emir to stay by Reyhan's side. Because leaving isn't an option.

"I watched you sleep like this once," he admits. "It was on our wedding night, after you so bravely came to my bed. You had fallen asleep afterwards and I just looked at you. Part of me felt so lucky to have you in my life. But a bigger part of me was so angry at my father and the whole situation. And I took it out on you."

If only he had been able to appreciate then the gift he had been given. Even if it was just letting her know how grateful he was for the breakfast she made for him the next morning. Just a small, simple thank you. But instead, he had been cruel to her. So unnecessarily cruel. If he's honest, deep down all he really wanted to do was take her back to bed. The anger won over that desire, unfortunately. And it continued to win for a long time, fueled by his mother's games.

"Never again," he promises, placing a gentle kiss on the hand he's holding.

The nurses come just then. It's time for one of her treatments. Needing a little space, Emir leaves them to it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He walks around the hospital on a route that has become familiar. They've been there for a little over a week and he knows exactly how long to stay gone until the treatment is over. Today, he decides to stop at one of his favorite places ... the nursery. He likes seeing the babies. He likes imagining what it will be like when it's his and Reyhan's baby on the other side of the glass.

Continuing on his walk, he goes a little further and passes a room with some older kids. They jump and wave, excitedly calling out "Abi" as he passes. They too fill his heart with joy. Seeing them brightens his day. But he's also sad that they have to spend their childhood there. He had asked a nurse one day about the children. She told him that most of the kids are there for a few days to a few weeks for treatment for various issues. Some are there for dialysis. Some are there waiting on a new heart or other organ. Most have their own rooms and family that visits often. This room here is just a play room where they can gather and have normal kid time.