Chapter 8

"Why isn't she waking up?" Emir asks the doctor the next morning. "It's been over the 72 hours."

"Sometimes these things take time," the doctor says, trying to reassure Emir. "The good news is that your wife's condition is stable now. Even being officially off the drugs that kept her in the coma, the seizures haven't returned and her body is strong and healthy. We'll start her on the new medication and that should speed her recovery along. We'll assess again after another 72 hours if she still hasn't woken up."

The thought of another 72 hours almost makes him completely lose whatever composure he's been able to maintain in the long days and weeks since all this started. He's starting to lose hope and the pain of missing her has become palpable. He absentmindedly rubs the spot on his chest over his aching heart.

"Please wake up," he begs her once all the doctors and nurses leave. "Please come back to me."

Another blow comes a couple of hours later when he's waiting on Ayla to show up. He goes out into the hallway to watch for her running around the corner, but all he sees is the nurse that usually brings her to him.

"Where's Ayla?" he asks, confused that she's not there. His confusion turns to concern when he notices the look on the nurse's face.

"Ayla had a bit of a setback today," the nurse tells him. "This happens from time to time with her. But it's happening more often lately. She really needs to have her surgery."

"Then do it!" Emir barks out, scaring the nurse. He winces when he sees the fear on her face. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I just don't understand how this girl can't get her surgery."

"It's very expensive and her foster parents won't pay. And the state system only pays for the medication to help treat her symptoms."

"If it's just about money, then send me the bill. Just help this child," Emir pleads. He realizes he's come to care quite a bit about her. He's helpless to do anything for Reyhan. But he can at least make sure Ayla gets the help she needs. Maybe he met this girl for just this purpose. Maybe if he does something good for her, the universe will pay in kind and Reyhan will wake up.

Emir goes to the accounting office to take care of whatever bills there are for Ayla so that she can get her surgery. And then he goes to do something he doesn't do very often: he prays. He prays for Reyhan. He prays for his marriage. And he prays for that little girl who has managed to somehow steal a little piece of his heart.

Back in the room with Reyhan, he sees no signs of change. But he can feel his prayers have made a difference. He sits next to her and takes her hand like he always does. For the first time in a long time, he feels like something good is going to happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All of the memories swim around in her head and she can't make sense of anything. A blue dress. An ocean. Dinner. Dancing. Music. Staring at clouds with Masal while Emir looks at them both with so much love in his eyes. Erzurum. A baby. And again that look of love from Emir. Is it just a dream?

She blinks her eyes open and looks around. The room doesn't look familiar. But it appears to be a hospital. Why is she in the hospital?

Her eyes continue to travel the room and they land on a form next to her bed. She reaches out a hand to stroke through the thick, soft hair attached to the head resting on her stomach. She's also dreamed of doing this many, many times. But she never had the nerve to actually touch the man who was only her husband on paper.

He stirs and she freezes, her hand in mid stroke.

"Reyhan," he mumbles, still partially asleep. His eyes have yet to open.