Chapter 15

When the weekend arrives, Emir and Reyhan decide to go out for a little while and do some shopping. Ayla doesn't really need anything, but they love the look on her face whenever they give her something new. As a child growing up without much, she's so appreciative of everything they do for her. And they still buy extra to donate where Defne works, as promised.

"We can send this stuff to Defne later in the week," Emir tells her, adding another bag to his already heavy load. "But for right now, I'm going to take it out to the car. Why don't you and Ayla wait for me in the food court? Are you hungry?"

"Not really. But I am tired," she admits. The constant fatigue is the one thing remaining from her illness. And she hasn't really gotten her appetite back. Emir, bless his heart, tries to feed her constantly because she lost a lot of weight while in the hospital. She does her best for him. She wants to be a strong wife for him. A healthy mother for Ayla.

"Maybe we should just go," he suggests, a concerned look crossing his face. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she smiles up at him. "Like you said. Ayla and I will go get some lunch and wait for you."

"Did someone say lunch?"

They turn around and find Defne has joined their group. They haven't seen her since they left the hospital. Reyhan is actually relieved to see a friendly face. It would be nice to have someone to talk to living in this new, unfamiliar city.

After hugs and greetings, it is agreed that Defne will join them for lunch. Emir heads to the car to drop off the packages and the ladies head to get food.

"How have you been really?" Defne asks after they get settled at their table. "You look good."

"I'm getting there," Reyhan tells her. "Ayla has been such joy, though. Even when I do feel a little tired or get a little down, she's there with a hug and a kiss and it picks me right up. She's amazing."

"She looks happy," Defne says, stroking the little girl's cheek. The soft, baby smooth skin makes her yearn for her own baby. A baby that will be coming soon and Defne with no real plan to take care of it. Despite what she told Zafer, she's terrified she won't be able to care for her child. She's afraid her father may force her to marry Fatih. Those two have been planning something and Defne has been doing her best to avoid them.

"How about you?" Reyhan asks. "Your mood just turned a little. I know we don't really know each other that well, but you can talk to me. I'm a good listener."

"I may just take you up on that offer one day," Defne replies. "Just ... not today."

She tilts her head towards Ayla, not wanting to talk about serious stuff around the child.

"Anytime, Defne. I mean it," Reyhan says, patting the other woman's hand. "I didn't get a chance to make any friends in Istanbul. So it would be nice to have a friend here in Ankara."

"Oh," Defne says, her eyes going wide as she looks at something in the distance. "So I'm guessing she's not one of your friends."

Reyhan turns around to see what has Defne's attention and spots a woman talking to Emir. Standing very close to him. Jealousy she never knew she had starts to build. The word mine bounces around inside her brain.

"No. I don't know her," Reyhan admits warily. "But it seems like Emir does."

She gives the woman a good look from head to toe. Very contemporary. Very modern. Reyhan looks down at her simple outfit that's practically hanging off her too thin frame and feels somewhat lesser.

"I think you should go introduce yourself," Defne urges her. "I'll keep an eye on Ayla. You go keep an eye on your man."

"Defne!"