Chapter 33

The reception she gets around town now is a lot colder than all the interest and attention she got before the vacation. Looks. Stares. Whispers. They're not even trying to be discreet. It's all very noticeable. But she really doesn't care about any of it. All Reyhan really cares about is the reason why she's suddenly the hot topic of gossip again: they all think Emir left her. And if they all think he left her, that means no one is looking for him. He's lost and no one realizes he needs to be found.

"Mama?" a still clueless Ayla calls to her, tugging on Reyhan's hand outside the ice cream shop.

Ayla had had a doctor's appointment earlier and Reyhan had promised her ice cream as a treat. But Reyhan didn't realize so many people would just be openly looking. Staring. Whispering. And she can't risk Ayla hearing gossip about Emir. The girl just thinks Emir had to take an emergency trip out of town for a few days. It may make her a terrible mother, but Reyhan just can't handle both of their heartbreaks. So she's been hiding the truth from Ayla. But if they stay out in the open much longer, the little girl will hear things she shouldn't.

"Mama, what's wrong?" Ayla asks again, her huge eyes staring right at Reyhan.

"Nothing, baby," Reyhan says, forcing a smile to her face. "But change of plans. We're going to get this ice cream to go and then go home and build our own giant sundae. You know you and your Dede love that."

Ayla eagerly agrees and claps her hands happily. Reyhan lets out a sigh of relief. They get back to the car and instead waits as the driver goes inside for the ice cream. Disaster averted ... this time. But Reyhan knows it's only a matter of time before Ayla finds out. Emir needs to be found soon for all of their sakes. Reyhan turns to look out the window and blinks away a tear before Ayla can see.

"Don't worry, Mama. Daddy will be home soon," Ayla assures her. And for some reason, Reyhan believes her. She pulls the girl into her lap for kisses and cuddles. Ayla's giggles heal her heart a little.

Too soon the driver is back and Reyhan has to get Ayla strapped into her car seat. The little girl continues to hold her hand the whole trip back, almost as if she knows Reyhan needs the comfort.

When they get home, Emine meets them at the door. Reyhan looks expectantly at her, always waiting on news from Emir, but Emine just subtly shakes her head. No news today. At Emine's instruction, the driver takes Ayla and the ice cream into the kitchen while Emine leads Reyhan to the porch to sit.

"Fresh air," Emine explains. "You and that baby need it."

"You're probably right," Reyhan agrees. "Everytime I'm in the bedroom, I can still feel and smell Emir. And I miss him so much."

The tears come again as she rubs her belly. This time she lets them. It's worse when she stops them.

"I don't know what to do anymore," she admits tearfully. "I don't know what I'll do if I never see him again. Why can't we find him? Does he not want to be found?"

"No! Don't even think that," Emine insists. "You know Emir loves you more than anything. He loves Ayla and this baby more than anything. And there's also Suna. His father. His uncle. He'd never just disappear like this. You know that. His mother is the only one insisting on spreading that insane story. And you know she never tells the truth. Don't believe her."

"It's all anyone is talking about," Reyhan whispers, looking down at her belly. Not much longer now and the baby will be here. Will he get to meet his father? No matter how many times people tell her not to think that way, she can't help but wonder.

"Do you care about the gossip?" Emine asks.

Reyhan just shakes her head.

"Only because it means no one is helping to look for him," Reyhan says with a sigh. "Makes it that much harder to find him."