Chapter 3

Author Note before chapter: Hey guys, sorry my last 2 chapters were so short. I haven't had a lot of time to write lately but I really wanted to update. Anyway, here's chapter 3. Hope you like it!!!! Also, the picture above is Sophie's outfit. Isn't it cute?!?!
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I pulled on my plum-colored skater-skirt over my black tights. I put on a black camisole then slipped my long sleeved black sweater over top, even though I knew I was going to be very warm. It was going to take a while before I got used to this California heat... I grabbed my all-black Vans from my closet- which I had filled with my clothes last night after I finally found my dorm room- and put them on too. I wasn't late, but I was certainly rushing. I didn't want to be late on my first day. Plus, I had no idea where I was going, so I wanted to give myself a twenty minute head-start to make sure I got to the right place on time. I shoved all my books into my bag and grabbed my key. I had put it on a bracelet so I would always remember it and never lose it. I scanned my room one more time to make sure I had everything, and after spraying myself with my favorite perfume, I walked out of the room. I locked my door behind me, then unfolded my schedule. My first class was with Mr. Morris in the West Hall at 8:45. I had exactly twenty four minutes to get there. Instead of wandering around aimlessly for the next hour, I walk down to the main office and ask for directions. The lady behind the desk smiles at me sweetly and tells me exactly how to get there.

When I finally reach the classroom, it's 8:36. I'm the first one there. I walk in hesitantly, and stop in front of the teacher's desk. It takes a minute, but he finally looks up from the paperwork on his desk and realizes I'm standing here.

"Oh, you must be Sophia!" he says smiling. He stands up and walks around the desk to shake my hand. "I'm Mr. Morris. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, sir," I reply blushing, staring at the ground.

"I must say, I was surprised when they told me I was getting a new student. Normally the school doesn't accept new students once classes have started," he tells me.

"I guess they made an exception," I say, still looking at the ground. He must sense how I'm feeling, because he changes the topic after that.

"Have you read this book?" he asks, holding up my favorite book ever, The Sweetness at the bottom of the Pie.

I can't hold back the gasp that escapes my lips. "That's my favorite!" I tell him. "I've read it more times than I can count." It's about this eleven-year-old named Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. It is the summer of 1950-and a series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath. For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw.

I've read it so many times I can actually recite parts of the book... "I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn't. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life."

To Flavia, the investigation is the stuff of science: full of possibilities, contradictions, and connections. She's a quite interesting, in my opinion.

"Oh good, then you can do the project with the rest of the class," he says, his voice snapping me back to reality.

"I'd love that," I say.

People start filing in to the classroom. "Where should I sit?" I ask Mr. Morris.

"Hang on a second," he answers, so I just stand there silently waiting for his directions. Once everyone appears to be situated inside the classroom, Mr. Morris tells me to introduce me... Without saying a word to me beforehand.

"Miss Abbott!" he says, his booming voice silencing all the students. "Why don't you introduce yourself to us?"

He catches me off guard. I whip my head up and stare a him, dumbfounded. I immediately feel myself start to blush. "Umm, hi..." I mutter. I hear some people chuckle. "I'm Sophia. Sophia Grace Abbott."

"Where are you coming from?" Mr. Morris asks me.

"Deleware," I answer.

"What made you decide to come here?" he asks.

"I... My aunt had heard this was a good school," I stammer.

"That it is," he says smiling. "Does anyone have any questions for Miss Abbott?

Slowly, a boy sitting at the back of the class puts his hand up. His head is down, not looking at me. "Do you remember me?" he asks. I'm confused at first, but then he lifts his head up and grins at me. A smile tugs at the corners of my lips. I know him.

"Jack Tyler Loft," I whisper.