Chapter 1

The cold wind whipped my hair around my face as I waited for the cab. I stood with my Aunt Lucinda, not saying a word. The tears were still running down my face.

"You should be happy," they had told me. "You're getting out! You get to live again!" But they didn't understand. I was practically an orphan. I had no friends except for the ones that I had made in Juvy, and now I was leaving. Not that I had particularly wanted to stay in Juvy...but I was scared. I had been cut off from people for so long... I spent my sophomore and junior year here, and they just expected my to jump right into my senior year at some random boarding school in California? I would have no friends. No family, except for my aunt. (And I think she's scared of me.) Plus, Juvy would be checking up on me monthly to see how I was doing. I'm not sure why, exactly... Probably because I honestly didn't seem like the type of girl who would be there in the first place.

Finally the cab pulled up, and I wiped the tears away. I walked around to the other side car and climbed in.
"Where to?" the driver asks us.
"The airport," my aunt replies.
The drive to the airport is only about twenty minutes from the Juvenile Detention Center. I stare out the window silently.

After a few minutes, Aunt Lucinda breaks the silence. "You'll be okay, sweetie," she tells me. "This is your chance to start over...to forget everything that happened."
I turn to face her, my eyes filling with tears. "Forget?" I ask incredulously. "Forget? How could I ever-"

"I mean," she interrupts me, "you get to start over as a new person with a new life. You're getting a second chance."
I wait a moment before responding, then I whisper, "What if they find out?"
"That's a big 'if'," she tells me.
"Yeah but still..." The cab stops. We've arrived at the airport.

She smiles at me sweetly. "You at least have to try."
I give her a tight hug then get out if the cab.

Elizabeth is dead now, I tell myself. Now it's Sophie's turn.
I wipe away the tears one last time...then walk into the airport.
Only because I have no other option.

So what do you guys think??? How was it??? Keep reading to figure out Sophie's secret... It's pretty big. Also, Alice will be coming in soon!!! And I know it doesn't say anything about a guy in the description, but don't worry, there will be one ;)