Chapter 5

Alice took it upon herself to be my personal escort for the rest of the week. I couldn't get her to leave me alone, no matter how hard I tried. Now that it's finally the weekend, I decide to spend some time alone and go explore California. I put on a pair of ripped denim jean shorts (I didn't realize how short they were when I decided to put them on) and a black tank with a red flannel over top, which I tied in a knot in the front. I grabbed my black combat boots and put them on too. I pulled my brown/blonde hair up into a messy bun and checked my appearance in the mirror.

"Something's missing..." I mutter to myself.

I grab my white and black bandanna that I brought from Juvy and tie it around my head like a headband. I put on some makeup and grab my purse. I lock the door behind me and walk out of the school, waving to Mrs. Dobbs, the lady behind the desk.

I fish my sunglasses out of my purse and slide them on my face. I walk to the exit of the parking lot where I hail a cab.

I climb in and say, "I'm just planning to go sightseeing, so drop me off wherever."

The car doesn't move.

"Is that ok?" I ask.

The driver gives me a sly grin and removes his sunglasses. "In case you haven't put it together yet," he says, "I drive a cab on the weekends."

I roll my eyes and groan. Jack.

"Why do you keep pestering me, Jack Tyler?" I whine.

"Pestering...thats a fancy word," he muses, the car finally starting to move.

"It means you're annoying," I shoot back.

"Alice was right, you really don't want friends," he says.

"Yes, she is right. So just stop trying, ok?" I say.

"Why?" he asks. It's a simple question, but it catches me off guard.

"Why what?" I respond.

"Why don't you want friends? Why should I stop trying? Why won't you let anybody into your life?"

"That's more than one question," I point out.

"We've got time. After all, you don't even know where you're going," he says.

Maybe telling him to drop me off anywhere wasn't the best idea... I scold myself.

"I don't want friends because I don't like people," I snap at Jack.

"And why is that?" he asks calmly.

"That's just the way it is," I say.

"Doesn't have to be," he mutters quietly, but I hear him.

I don't reply. I have nothing to say to him. The rest of the car ride passes by in scilence.

***

It's almost dark when I finally get back to the school. My feet are aching in my boots and my hair is an absolute disaster. I trudge back to my dorm room and flop down onto the bed, wrapping myself up like a burrito still in all of my clothes- including my boots. I reach for my laptop and pull up Netflux. I flick through all of the options and eventually settle on watching some Nicholas Cage movie.

A few minutes into the movie, someone knocks on my door. I groan and unwrap the blanket from around myself. I adjust my clothes- straighten my shirt, pull down my shorts a bit- and walk over to the door. I fling it open and I see...

My aunt.

"Hi sweetie," she says warmly.

I struggle to find words.

"Can I come in?" she asks.

Still not able to form words, I nod mutely and move out of her way.

She walks in and looks around my room. "Very clean," she comments.

"Uhh, thanks," I mutter.

She moves my laptop and glances at the screen while doing so. She chuckles and says, "Nicholas Cage? Seriously?"

I smile.

She pats the bed, signaling for me to sit down next to her. I walk over and jump onto the bed, then take off my boots, which I hadn't done yet. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs. After a few minutes of silence, my aunt says, "How are you, sweetheart?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I'm fine, I suppose. I mean, it's still new... But I'm getting used to it."

She nods her head. "I assume you're wondering why I'm here," she says, looking towards me.

I nod and stare at her.

She looks at me and says, "I got an email, from your teacher, Mr. Morris... He told me that you seem depressed."

I snap my head up and stare at her. "Aunt Lucinda, I'm not depressed."

"He said that you're extremely quiet, not talking to people, and not making friends- even though people have tried."

"I guess that's true..." She looks at me expectantly. "But I am not depressed!"

"Why won't you make friends?" she asks quietly.

"I don't want any," I whisper.

"Honey...please. Your not even giving this place a shot!"

I consider her words, then nod my head. She's right. I have to give it a shot.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************