Meeting the Team

I was up and ready in ten minutes. After Dinah made me choke down a quick breakfast bar, she herded us down to the Nest where my suit was still waiting for me on the table. I took everything to the bathroom and changed quickly, stripping out of my pjs, and put on my costume on for the first time.

The blue and black fabric fit snuggly, hugging my straight frame and the curves I didn't have. I felt uncomfortable, having my form exposed like this. A sense of security was given back to me once I slipped my arms into the jacket. The sleeves fell to my wrists, perfectly tailored. I punched the palm of my hand, testing the hard padding along the outside of my gloves. My gloves weren't fingerless, unlike Black Canary's. I'd preferred to eliminate every way the Intergang could identify me with; including fingerprints, and my hair color.

Earlier this week, Dinah had dyed my hair a dark brown. I was absolutely painful to give away one of the only features I shared with my dad, but I was doing it to protect us. The harder it would be for the Intergang to recognize me, the better. My new hair fell a bit past my shoulders, and tickled my neck uncomfortably in the shower, but it would do its job.

I fastened my boots and checked that every buckle on my holster was correct before looking at the final product in the mirror. I examined my body, my eyes traveling up and down this stranger in the mirror. My finger tapped against the sink. Aside from my new hair, my face didn't look too different.

Brown eyes. Straight nose. I had a fading bruise on my cheekbone that was still healing after sparring with Dinah last week. But I knew where to look closer. I had a faint scar near the corner of my left eye where the car glass had cut deepest into my face. I had a larger, matching one on my neck and shoulder, a result of the accident as well.

It's funny how a single moment can alter the rest of your life. A single choice can flip your world upside down. By agreeing to help the Justice League, I was now on the tippy top of the Intergang's hit list. And now, I was pretending to be Dinah's new protégé to meet a group of superheroes I'd soon be living with. It was all happening so much quicker than I thought it would.

A small knock on the door sounded. "Are you ready?"

Not really, I thought. But I pressed the mask to my face anyways and took another long look at myself. You can do this. Do it for dad. I grabbed the hood and pulled it over my head before opening the door.

"Yes."

Dinah stood on the other side of the door, dressed in her Black Canary costume. I wished I could be like her. Have that fierceness behind my eyes. I felt so inferior in comparison to her, like I was just some wannabe cosplayer dressed like her.

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to." Dinah placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

A small part of me wanted to accept her offer. Here I was, hiding for nearly three months from the Intergang, and now I was about to possibly confront some of them. I looked at the Zeta Tube embedded onto the wall. I still remembered the way Bruno loved to taunt and scare me to the point that it was hard to even speak. I remembered the way Whisper had tried to kill me, and then how Robin....

Robin. Oh gosh... He was going to be there. I suddenly felt so much sicker. Oh no...

"Jackie?" Dinah asked. Her blue eyes were filled with concern for me. "It's okay."

I swallowed my nausea and straightened.

"I know. I can do this." I said, rather more to myself then Dinah.

With one last squeeze on my shoulder, we stepped into the Zeta Tube.

"Recognized. Black Canary 13. Bluejay B08..."