Haly's Circus

My first instinct was just to google him. I mean, Robin was literally a celebrity. There was no way some reporter hadn't written up a few articles theorizing his identity. But I decided against it because I wasn't sure if there was anyone keeping track of my browser history. It would be sort of awkward if someone approached me about it. So unfortunately, I would have to do it the old fashioned way. 

So far, my ideas consisted of "accidentally" ripping his mask off his face during sparring, training Wolf to steal his sunglasses, or bribing it out of Wally. But so far, none of those seemed like Grade A plans to me yet. Well, Wally might crack if I offered him a Golden Corral gift card, but I wasn't counting on it. Sadly, my photoshop skills weren't great either so it wasn't like I could just edit his mask off his face and Hazah there he was!

And trying to guilt Robin into telling me his secret identity was out of the picture too because he'd probably give me some speech about protecting the ones he loved, plus, he might catch on to what I was doing. I wanted to groan and dramatically throw myself onto a mattress like all the Disney characters did when they were stressed. This was harder than I thought it was going to be. Along with Dr. Linh's dandy little threat about me needing to figure out the Team's identities or else he was going to kill my dad, I was also genuinely curious about who was under that stupidly charismatic mask.

"Jackie."

But one thing was for certain. I wasn't going to disclose any information to Dr. Linh- not yet. I was going to wait and simmer through my options before I did anything. I could tell the Team. But then again... a few months ago, there was a whole thing about there being a mole on the Team. If Linh ever found out I cracked before the Team had a chance to strike...

"Earth to Jackie. Do you read?" Dinah waved a hand in front of my eyes. 

I jumped, my mind zipping back to reality. I focused back to Dinah, dressed in biker shorts and a Green Arrow themed tank top. Her hair was tied back in twin boxer braids, completing her effortless Nike model/ Olympian athlete/ badass warrior princess look. I, unlike my mentor, hadn't yet mastered the ability to look freshly snatched right after a battle. I know. Major rip for me.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Sorry." I mumbled softly and took one last gulp of water. 

I set down my bottle and walked towards the boxing ring, massaging my sore shoulder as I went. Dinah had not-so-nicely judo flipped me during our last sparing match. It left me both out of breath and with a bruised back, which was just fantastic. But hey, injuries came with the job. I checked the time on the Nest's holographic computer screen. It would be time for the mission briefing soon. Dinah noticed my mood and gave me a gentle nudge. 

"What's on your mind, Snickers?" Dinah asked me.

I ducked under the vinyl wrapped cables, the padded ground of the boxing ring dipping slightly under my bare feet. I stretched my leg and shrugged, trying to fake nonchalance. Oh, nothing. Just the threats on my father's life, I thought. 

"Thursday, October, and 8:00 P.M. are all the same, just in different fonts." I blurted monotonically. 

Dinah nodded and gave a chuckle. "Philosophic." 

Through my grim thoughts, I managed a small smile at her reaction. If felt good to finally be casual with her again, after weeks of awkwardness. I tightened my ponytail and pulled away some of the sticky strands that were clinging to my neck.

"The mission too, I guess." I lied.

If anything, I was glad for the distraction. Plus, the mission might bring me closer to my goal of figuring out Robin's Identity. Maybe I would pick up a clue or a quirk or a hobby- anything in relation to his real life. I was busy checking the tape on my knuckles to prepare for a quick match, when Dinah's prolonged silence made me freeze. My eyes snapped up to her face. Her strangely, guilty, sheepish face. My eyes narrowed in suspicion, irritation and anger growing in the pit of my stomach.