Three Days Remaining

"I can't believe that didn't work either," Suga sighed. The team all followed suit.

Three days remaining. The past few days had been packed with multitudes of wish-finding. There had been a feast, a dance, a photography event, gift-giving... everything. Anything that the team could think of was performed.

I don't think that it's going to work, I admitted. I think that it's probably best if they just start to guess. My fists balled. But how do I tell them? How do I tell them without breaking their hearts?

"Asahi, are you sure that book was truthful?" Noya asked, panting. Poor guy had to play prop-coordinator. That was a lot of running about...

"It was right about everything else," Asahi murmured. Even then, he didn't sound too assured.

I'm not the only one growing hopeless. I could feel it in the air around the team. There was a sense of desperate hopelessness tinged with disbelief.

A deep sigh erupted from Suga's chest. The third year heaved himself from the floor and onto two feet, stumbling slightly. He mumbled something to Daichi, of whom joined him.

"Back to the drawing board." Daichi stated, stretching his arms.

I lazily hauled myself onto two feet. A few of the other members followed suit. We all meandered our way over to Coach Ukai. His conversation stopped mid-word, and he twisted to regard us with a small grimace.

"No luck, huh?" He asked.

"None," Suga responded.

"I'm starting to run out of ideas," Ukai admitted, scratching his head. "Let me think..."

We've covered just about all of my life at Karasuno. First year, second, school-life, team-life... Truthfully, I didn't want to acknowledge our last option. My last option. The thought sent a petrified shiver racing down my spine.

"Is something wrong?" Hinata nudged me lightly.

My lips were pursed. Slowly, I transferred my gaze from Hinata to the Coach.

"Ukai," my words hesitated as I selected the right ones, "were you there when I..."

My sentence trailed off. It didn't matter. Ukai's pained inhale and bulging eyes told me he was perfectly aware as to what I was asking about. He turned his head, avoiding my face.

"...I was." He admitted.

Ah. Pinpricks of pain erupted from my palms. Hesitantly, a comforting warmth blanketed them. I twisted to look at Hinata's hand. He gently pried my fingers from my palm, rubbing the deep crescents.

"What was it like, Coach?"

"God, kid, you don't want to know." Ukai defeatedly raked his hands over his face, fingertips dragging at the skin.

"I..." Do I really want to know? Even if our answer was there; if my wish was there, then I'd have to live with the sight. Is it worth it?

"I feel like I need to," I admitted in a small whisper.

In the event that they didn't guess, the off-chance that I failed, then it wouldn't matter. My humanity would slip away overtime. It would be a mercy; really, to be able to forget something like that. Yet, I'm ruining it.

"Are you sure?" Suga lightly held my shoulder. He gave it a hearty shake.

"Yes." My voice oozed determination, yet the unsure waver was still there. Still noticeable.