Final Day

"So... this is it?" Suga's voice was hoarse. "Final hours?"

"Yeah." My voice was shaky. Rough. Nonetheless, I had to stand strong.

"You have more guesses?"

I ran my gaze over the gathered team. Despondency hung heavy in the air. Many avoided my gaze, and some had teary eyes. To have them guessing was a bitter-sweet experience. Their cooperation meant a higher likelihood of winning, and yet... it almost means I forfeit my rights to ever see them again.

Hinata squeezed my left hand. His face was shadowed. Nonetheless, I can tell he had come to terms with the truth. It was the best outcome. Both for him, and for I. I'll feel better leaving them here like this. That way I won't have to see them wonder where they went wrong as I fade away...

"Right here," Asahi mumbled. He unveiled a multitude of papers from his bag. His hand shook as he handed them to me.

I thanked him, leafing through the papers. My eyes drunk in the handwriting. Suga, no doubt. The intricate curving letters and hearted "I's" were a dead giveaway. Noya. I almost laughed at the poor kanji and lackluster reading. Tsukki, Yamaguchi, Daichi, Tanaka, Kageyama, Asahi...

Tears began to well in my eyes. I'm not ready. After yearning, for ten years, it pained me to give it up. Give them up. I swiftly wiped my tears away. Any moment's of hesitation would only hurt them. They'd have to live with my decisions- not me.

I placed the first sheet down.

"Are you really... going to fade?" Noya finally asked, voice small. "We can always take turns forming pacts with you, and-"

"I'm sure."

I shut down the notion immediately. Despite the deep pain the statement scored into my heart, every word was the truth. I'm sure that I want to fade. Whether or not I'm ready is still... My lungs released a shaky exhale.

I placed down the second. Four more to go.

"You really don't have to, I'm sure Hinata can manage without the object you took. The curse- it doesn't even matter anymore, (Y/n)." Yamaguchi pleaded.

"No."

God, this sucks. The papers crinkled in my grip. My hands began to shake. Slowly, I turned my attention to the clock. There's only a few hours left...

I set the papers aside. All eyes turned to me. Before I read the rest of these; before they guess it, there's some things I need to say. Inhaling, I began to gather the courage to speak my mind.

"I just want to thank all of you," I began. "For giving me the chance to feel human again. Whatever happens next, I hope that I have a chance to see you all again some day. Some day somewhere else, when we can all be real friends. I want..." I inhaled shakily, "I want to be able to stay by your side."

That was all it took. All the tears that had been threatening to fill broke free. Suga launched himself at me, clutching desperately onto my clothes. Hinata shook with gasping sobs. I couldn't stop them. Tears, hot and salty, slid from my eyes.

They gave me a reason to live when nothing else did, and the courage to do what I always knew I had to. I curled a fist into my pants. I'm glad I had friends like them.

It was like a key. A key being inserted into a lock, turning a door that had so long been just out of reach. Cool, white wisps of aura began to attack my fingers.

What the hell..? My shuddering hand raised to my face. The aura inched slowly down my hand, devouring skin. Yet, it didn't hurt. Far from it. It's so... warm...