{1}

o n e
S p e n c e r
t w i t c h

"Do you think she'll talk?" Hotch asks, his eyes trailing away from the petite figure behind the one way mirror. She's got her hands clasped in her handcuffs, she knows too well she can't go anywhere so she doesn't try. She doesn't look up at the mirror, her eyes stay planted on the table in front of her. Her legs are crossed like a lady and I know too well when someone goes in there she's going to deny everything. We've got the good cop bad cop - JJ and Hotch are going to try and grill information out of her. We don't know the names of her partners, but with Hotch's luck, we will soon.

"No but it's worth a try. She looks adamant to stay mute. She either loves her partners to pieces, or maybe she wants to get away. We can't find the others but we can find her?" Alex pipes up, but her eyes stay on the girl. Blake is deep in thought and I can practically hear the gears spinning away in her brain.

"They've all been off the grid for so long it's kind of hysterical we found her." JJ adds as she crosses her arms over her chest. I look her again. There's no trace on her face of anything ever being there. No lines, evident dimples or wrinkles. It's like she's never smiled before. Her eyes are sunken and sleep deprived, her mouth is a line, not curving too far up or down to show any means of a smile or a frown. She doesn't unexpectedly jolt, her eyes don't flicker and she doesn't excessively blink. She doesn't turn her head once in the direction of the mirror or the door.

"She's been trained." All three pairs of eyes advert to me but I stay stationary. "She's not moving, she's not demanding a lawyer, or asking for her call. She's silent. Someone's trained her for this moment. They knew it was happening." In that moment, she makes one solid movement. Her eyes flicker to the corners of the room, in search of something. A camera? It's got to be a coincidence she does this right after I speak, as we're in a soundproof room.

"Let's just get in there." Hotch says and leads JJ into the interrogation room. Brooks goes back to being still and silent, she doesn't appear fazed when Aaron and Jeniffer enter the room. She already knows the drill. "Averlyn Brooks I am Agent Hotchner, this is Agent Jareau." Hotch gestures to JJ as he sets himself down on a chair opposite Averlyn.

"Averlyn Brooks. Where's the name Averlyn from? Is it short for something?" JJ asks and she actually appears to be intrigued by the name. Brooks makes no comment and continues to stare blankly at the wall, her hands clasped. This could take a while. JJ awkwardly nods and glances at Hotch.

Hotch gets straight to the point. "Where are they? Your partners. If we found you we have to have gotten closer to the others." She stays silent, blinking only a couple of times per minute. "How many more of you are there?"

Hotch sits back in his chair and despite having multiple interrogations like this, this ones frustrating. We've waited and spent weeks trying to locate these serial killers, now we're one step ahead than we were three weeks ago but they're five ahead of us. "You're trained to withstand an interrogation but trust me, Averlyn it won't help you. You can help us, and we can help you." JJ responds to nothing, only blank stares and equally blank movements. Nothing she does right now is out of the ordinary, though she's hiding too much.

"Why'd they send you? Out of all of you, they sent you. Are you the only girl? Are you the weakest?" Hotch says.

She doesn't flinch, her eyes don't twitch or move from the desk but she's trying to hide one thing - her index finger rapidly tapping against her thigh. It doesn't take a genius to see her brows furrow a fraction of an inch when she says one sentence. "They are my family." She doesn't think I see it, she's shielding her tapping from the camera in the corner, Hotch and JJ but I'm in perfect position to see. It's not morse code, it's more of a tic or a nervous gesture.