{29} Six Feet Under

t w e n t y   n i n e   .   o n e
S p e n c e r
s e a r c h

I wake up in bed, naked and alone. Sunlight beaming in through my open curtains. I groan, rolling over onto my stomach. I flinch at the pressure, but it slowly subsides. I stretch, one hand running through my hair. "Avery? Come back to bed." I smile at the sentence, waiting for Avery to come back into the bedroom. She doesn't, but my bathroom door is shut. I grab a pillow and throw it at the door. "Avery!" I groan, "come back." I reach out, my hands moving through the sheets in hopes I feel her presence.

"Averlyn!" I yell into my pillow. I'm acting like a child, but I want Avery now. When Avery doesn't reply for a fourth time, I take all my strength and get out of bed. I find some sweatpants and boxers and change quickly, making my way to the bathroom. "Avery? You in there?" I knock on the bathroom door and wait for a nonexistent reply. When I try the handle, it opens with ease.

"Avery?" The bathroom is empty, so I decide to check the kitchen. There's no smell of burnt food, there's no smell of food at all. I grab my phone and call her, but her phone rings from the bedroom. She's gone, she's fucking gone. I call Emily, she picks up almost straight away. "Avery, she's gone. Her phone is still here. There's no sign of blood, but she's gone."

"Are you sure, Spencer?" She asks, and her voice makes her seem so tired.

"Yes. She's not here. I didn't even notice her leaving." Usually I can—that's usually how I wake up. By the movement and loud shuffling as she tries to get changed to make breakfast, or leave. "Emily what if Joshua and Thomas took her?"

"Are your security guards still outside your apartment?" I rush back out of the bedroom and to my front door. When I fling it open, they are both still out there.

"Wheres Averlyn? You're meant to do your fucking job." I seethe, impatiently waiting for their reply.

"She left about an hour ago. Said she wanted to be alone, a lot going on in her head." One says.

"You have a fucking job to do. You can't just let her walk out alone while there are two fucking serial killers on the loose." I yell, almost dropping my phone that's still on a call to Emily.

"Reid? Is she okay?" Her quiet voice from the other end of the phone asks and I curse under my breath. I slam the door shut and focus on finishing getting changed as quickly as possible. I put Emily on loud speaker as I find a shirt. "Reid!"

"Security guards let her out. Said she had a lot going on." I seethe, hurrying to make my bed. "I'm going to look for her. She can't be out alone."

"Reid, I was just about to call to tell you both to come to work. I'll get the team to look for her. If she left by her own will, she can't be far...wait I'm getting texts from JJ." Emily says, and there's a sound of shuffling before she speaks again, "Avery text JJ saying she needed some time alone if anyone asks. Something about 'the baby'. Reid what baby?"

"I-I don't know what 'the baby' means Emily. I just need to find her." I grab my phone and my jacket and hurry to put it on. Thomas and Joshua could be anywhere looking for her—it's barely even safe in our apartment. Our apartment. Fuck I don't have time to rethink what I'm thinking. I hang up after Emily says her goodbyes and head out the door with my gun and badge. I don't listen to the security guards telling me I can't go anywhere alone, because they're fucking two-faced. I'm out on the streets in seconds, desperately and frantically looking around for my beautiful, dark-haired, blue-eyed girlfriend.