Chapter 1 - Hope's Peak Academy

There she stood. A lone girl, about to face the storm. It would have felt different if her father had still been there. Or hell, even her mother who she didn't know well. They'd both passed. Her mother when she was only six, her father about a month ago. Killed in an alleyway, police said.

Kyoko looked around her. Hundreds of students entering the gates of the sophisticated Hope's Peak Academy. Every single one of them an Ultimate. It was intimidating, to say the least. Kyoko's thought train came to a halt when a hand waved in front of her face.

"Hellooooooo?? Girl I know a new school is intimidating and all, but suck it up, will ya?" She turned her attention towards the origin of the voice. She saw a girl her age, her hair tied in two fluffy pigtails, decorated with a bow and a bunny hairclip.

"Is this your first day too?", Kyoko asked.

"Please, ignore my sister.", another voice said. "Mukuro Ikusaba, Ultimate Soldier." The girl held out her hand.

"Kyoko Kirigiri, Ultimate Detective." She shook her hand. The other girl shoved her sister aside, holding out her hand herself.

"Junko Enoshima, the one and only!" Her face was familiar. It plastered the cover of multiple teen magazines. "Ultimate Fashionista~ Soo, if this is your first day, means you're in our class then huh?"

"Probably, yes."

"Gooood, you're so reserved! Loosen up a little, you're like my ugly sister!", Junko laughed.

"U-Ugly...?", Mukuro blushed.

"Why would I? We just met."

"Well, I have the feeling we're gonna be great friends!", Junko said as she wrapped her arm around Kyoko and pulled her through the gates of Hope's Peak Academy. Mukuro followed behind.

Once they filled in an administration form, and found out the three of them were in fact in the same class, they headed to said classroom.

"So, do you like, touch dead bodies and stuff?" Junko had attempted at small talk the entire trip, but it seemed that Kyoko had set off on better foot with Mukuro. She finally turned her attention to Junko.

"It's part of the job, yes.", she replied as she pushed the classroom door open.

"Ugh, god forbid I ever get blood on these boots!" The classroom was already filled with students. Kyoko recognised some of them, as she did with Junko. There was the Ultimate Pop Sensation, the Ultimate Baseball Star and, sadly, the Ultimate Affluent Progeny. She didn't even have to look at him twice to know he would be a huge thorn in her side. At the back of the classroom, she saw a group of three casually chatting. The Pop Sensation was one of them. The other two were a girl with dark purple hair, in two braids, and a small brown-haired boy. Something about him made Kyoko feel a little warm inside. It was a feeling of security.

"Oh. My. God, Kyoko! It hasn't even been a hot minute and you're already googoo eyeing someone!" Kyoko shook Junko off of her.

"First of all, don't call me that. Second of all, I'm not 'googoo eyeing' anyone."

"Hi!", a new voice called. A tan girl stood in front of them, holding out her hand. "I'm Aoi Asahina! But my friends just call me Hina!" Kyoko shook her hand. "You three are the last ones to arrive, so we're complete now!"

"Being late is not welcome in a school environment!", a voice called from the back.

"But we're not even late...", Mukuro replied.

"You are supposed to arrive at least 5 minutes in advance!" The bell rang.

"See? Not late!", Junko teased him. A teacher walked in, and set some folders down at the desk. Everyone sat down.