Chapter 7 - The Mask Goes Off

"Say, Kiri." Kyoko looked up at Makoto, who grabbed them a soda from the fridge. He sat down across from her at the dining table. "I don't mean to be invasive, so tell me if you don't want to share. But, I was wondering. Are your parents coming home soon?" Kyoko hummed, opening the can of soda.

"Hmm, I wouldn't count on that." Makoto tilted his head. She smiled. "They're uh... they're dead." His eyes widened.

"Oh my god Kirigiri- I am so sorry-"

"It's fine Naegi. I figured you would react like this." His palm met his forehead.

"God I feel stupid."

"For asking a question?" He nodded. "My mother passed away when I was 6. My dad back in april. Sure, it hurts, but..." Kyoko sighed. "I need to move on." Makoto stood up, and walked over to where the girl was sitting. He sat down next to her.

"Don't move on. Keep them with you, for the rest of your life.", he said as he laid his hand on hers.

"A difficult path, but noble.", she smiled. Only when she looked up at him, she realized how close he was. Kyoko felt her heart pound in her chest as she tried to clear her head. She looked back at their hands. "I'm not sure if I can manage that. I haven't been in their room since my father died."

"Don't say that." Makoto let go of her hand, and used his to cup her cheek. He made her look at him. "Kiri, you are by far one of the strongest people I've ever met. You are doing so amazing, and you should be so, so proud of yourself. I know your parents are." Kyoko felt her eyes start to sting. The doorbell rang. She quickly jumped up and went to get it, leaving Makoto alone at the dining table.
He looked down at his hand, the one which covered Kyoko's cheek not 10 seconds ago. He hadn't gotten the chance yet to tell her how proud he was of her. As Kyoko walked back in with the two pizzas, Makoto went back to his seat.

"Pineapple on pizza, Naegi? That's a peculiar combo."

"What?? It's great! Have you tried it before?" Kyoko shook her head. He handed her a slice. She grabbed one of her slices aswell, giving it to him. She took a bite of the Hawaiian slice.

"...This is strange."

"But good, isn't it?"

"I don't dislike the taste, but it will take some getting used to." He smiled.

"I'm glad you're stepping out of your comfort zone." Kyoko raised an eyebrow.

"Stepping out of my comfort zone? It's a slice of pizza, Naegi."

"Small steps." Makoto's phone started buzzing. It was his mother. He excused himself for a moment, and walked to the livingroom to pick up.

"Mom?"

"Hi Mako.", she sounded a bit sad and worried. "Where are you? Maizono called me to see if you were here. I thought you were with her?" He sighed.

"I was. We got in a fight and I left, I'm currently at a friend's house. I'll be home soon."

"Alright Mako. Take care, I love you."

"Love you too mom." He hung up the phone, sighing. His glance turned to Kirigiri, who was checking her phone at the dining table. He couldn't help but feel the warmth of her face in the palm of his hand. She was just so cute with her hair in a bun. Slowly but surely, Makoto caught himself starting to feel guilty. He shouldn't be thinking about her this way. He sighed, making his way over to the dining table again.

"How'd it go?", Kyoko asked.

"She was wondering where I was. Apparently Sayaka called her to see if I was home." She frowned.