Chapter 15 - Her First

Makoto rested his head on the pillows of the couch, scrolling through his Instagram. He'd been thinking the entire time, and only the distant voices of Kyoko and Junko could drown it out. They were in Kyoko's bedroom, probably getting ready for the party. His mind traveled back to his conversation with Leon. Frankly, he was mad. He was mad that he needed the bastard so much. He hadn't forgiven him. He doubted that he ever would, it was a horrible thing Leon did to him. But still, he missed his partner in crime. He had some texts from him, too. Saying that he shouldn't accept his apology, to give everything time to process... Makoto knew how bad his friend felt. Everything he said felt so genuine, as if he truly was remorseful.

But for now, other worries plagued Makoto's mind. Mainly, the worries surrounding the owner of the couch he laid on. Leon's words lingered in his mind. He definitely wasn't ready for something new, but the idea that Kyoko might feel something for him... It sparked him joy. Reaching to his cheek, Makoto was surprised to find some tears rolling down them. He slowly sat up, locking his phone and shoving it in his pocket. He stood up, and made his way over to the kitchen. He heard some footsteps making their way down the stairs. And there she stood.

As he laid his eyes on Kyoko, Makoto couldn't help the blush covering his cheeks. They smiled at eachother. Kyoko gently scratched her wrist.

"H-How do I-" She cleared her throat. "How do I look?"

"You look amazing.", he replied. It was Kyoko's turn to blush. He walked a bit closer to her, taking notice of her hands. "Your gloves..." She glanced down, seeing the small rips in the faux leather fabric.

"I know they clash with the outfit.", she frowned. "But I'm not taking them off." Makoto smiled, taking hold of her hands in his.

"There's no need.", he whispered. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, copying the movements she'd make if she's nervous. "You do that when you're ready." Kyoko felt her eyes start to sting. Everything Makoto said always felt so genuine. As if he genuinely cared for her. She looked up at him, still wondering when he got taller than her. Sure, it was only a little bit. But still.

"Makoto-"

"I need to tell you something, Kyoko." He took a breath. "I've been thinking, and I felt that I needed to-" Makoto stopped when he heard quick footsteps scramble down the stairs. They turned around, their gaze at Junko. It was most likely quite the sight. Makoto holding Kyoko's hand, the other on her cheek. It most likely gave off the wrong idea.

"Ohhh shit, am I interrupting something?", Junko asked. Makoto took a step back, quickly shaking his head.

"N-No! It's fine." He sighed. "Let's head for the party?" The girls nodded, and they made their way to Junko's car.

Makoto took the backseat, while Kyoko sat down next to Junko at the front. They pulled out of Kyoko's driveway, headed for the center of the city. The car ride was quiet, and Makoto spent majority of the time gazing outside. The stars had started to come out. He felt a small tap on his leg. He looked up, seeing Kyoko point to her phone. Quickly deciphering what she meant, he checked his texts.

Kyowo: What is it you wanted to tell me?

Makoto felt his chest start to sting. He wanted to tell Kyoko how he felt about her, but... Not like this. He figured he'd just come clean about that.

Makowo: It's something. Idk if special is the right word, but I wanna tell you in person. :)

He saw the girl at the front seat nod.

~~

The party was loud, to say the least. There were so many people, and the music was honestly, quite tormenting. Mukuro left as quickly as she came, which did definitely put a dent in Kyoko's mood. She saw a few familiar faces, such as some of the upperclassmen of the 77th and 76th class. None of them Kyoko would consider herself particularly "close" with, but it was nice seeing at least some faces she knew. Two girls from the 76th class, Makoto seemed to recognize. Their names were Kaede Akamatsu and Miu Iruma, if Kyoko recalled correctly. As the three of them chatted, the detective couldn't help but ponder why they knew eachother. She figured not to ask, she wasn't in a great mood and, depending on the answer, it might make it worse. She excused herself for a minute, and went outside.