Founders' Day

Founders' Day. There was a time when Abigail didn't want it to come around at all. But now that it was here, and she was dressed in a Civil War era ball gown, she was surprised by how uncomplicated it seemed.

"Ouch!" Elena exclaimed as she pulled the corset into place. "Why didn't you tell me how much this hurts?"

"Because I knew you'd refuse to put it on."

Elena stared at herself in the mirror. "Abigail, I have to tell you something."

"What is it?" She turned around silently. "Elena, what is it?"

"John is my biological father."

Her first question was, "Have you talked to him?"

"No, but he dated Isobel when she was a teenager, and he was the one who took her to Dad's office..." Elena trailed off. "I'm going to talk to him tonight, but I'm never going to be ready to know the truth. Not with all of the other family problems we have right now."

"God. Jeremy is-"

"Pissed."

She looked past her and into the mirror. "He's never going to forgive me for taking away his memories."

"We both lied to him," Elena said softly. "But he's our brother, he'll forgive us."

Damon was late, leaving Abigail as the sole photographer for the Miss Mystic Falls Court. She had taken photos of every other couple that would be on the float, saving the most important for last. She held the camera up in the direction of Caroline and Matt.

"Okay, say cheese! Oh, wait!" She directed, "Hide your cast, it's not era-appropriate!"

Matt laughed. "Seriously?"

Together, Abigail and Caroline exclaimed, "Yes!"

He put his hand behind his back. "Okay, fine."

She took the photo.

"Hey," Tyler greeted her.

"Hey!" She exclaimed. "The float looks amazing."

"Thanks." He looked down at his military costume and then up at Matt's formal attire. "I kind of wish I was still your escort."

Abigail blinked at him. "Tyler, I-"

From her place by the brick wall, Caroline called, "I want one with Abigail now!"

He took the camera from her. "Here, I'll take it."

Caroline wrapped her arm around Abigail, making sure her Miss Mystic Falls sash was visible. They smiled toward the camera, pageant smiles. The real ones would come later.

"Looks great." He turned to Matt. "Do you want to-"

He pushed past him. "I'll be on the float."

"Matt!" Abigail followed after him. "Matt!"

Halfway down the alley, he faced her. "He's a dick!"

"I know!" She met his volume, slowly bringing their conversation to normal tones. "I know, but his dad-"

"His dad? My mom, Abigail!" Her efforts were useless, he was louder than ever. "He needs to do more than apologize."

"You're right." She nodded. "You're right, but you have to give him something to work with!"

He stormed away. "Whatever."

"Yeah, whatever," she said to herself just as Jeremy walked past her. "Jeremy! You look great, and you guys did a really great job-"