The Reckoning

Mystic Falls High School held onto tradition so tightly that on the same night of every year there was a blind eye turned to the lock on the gym door. The class of 2011 had been there since morning, setting up prank after prank to outdo any class that came before them. So even as the sun set, they were right down in it.

Their least favorite teacher was the easy choice for Caroline's grand idea: a classroom full of mouse traps. None of them estimated just how long it would take to set up the most elaborate of the pranks, leaving them in total darkness before they were even halfway done. So, when Matt walked in, turned on the light, and set off half of the traps, there was a chorus of protest.

"Oh, come on!" Caroline exclaimed. "Seriously?!"

Abigail stood up to assess the damage done. "Do you know how long it took for us to set all this up?!"

"Forgot about senior prank night, huh?" Tyler asked.

"Clearly."

"How could you forget?" Caroline laughed. "We've only been waiting for this since freshman year."

"Yeah, Matt." Elena crossed over to him, holding out a flashlight. "If I'm doing this, you're doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this."

Bonnie sighed. "Caroline's making us."

"We're seniors!" She wrapped an arm around Abigail's shoulders. "These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't-"

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?"

"Go ahead and make fun, Elena!" She playfully narrowed her eyes at her. "I don't care."

"You're all lame." Tyler strode out into the hallway. "And I've got ten more classrooms to prank."

Abigail followed him through the door. "I'm going to super glue Alaric's desk shut. Make some memories."

Caroline smiled after her. "I love you!"

She used his favorite pen to scribble a message on a sliver of notebook paper. Her handwriting was thin and light, her s's looked more like lightning bolts than anything else, and her a's were bigger than the letters on either side of them, capital or not. She didn't need to sign it, he would know who left in the bottom drawer of his desk, but she did.

Pushing the drawer closed, she laughed, "Got you."

"They're asking for you in the gym," Elena said as she stepped into the room. "And you know they won't stop."

"Want to help me in the front office first?"

"Hmm..." She smiled. "Obviously!"

They walked down the hall together, laughing as they passed Tyler giving instructions to other students, and then again at the sight of toilet paper lined lockers as they opened the double doors that led to the main office. Only to find themselves face to face with Klaus.

"You are supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?" He marched them down the hall. "You put a rather large kink in my plans, sweetheart. The whole point of breaking the curse and becoming a hybrid was to make more hybrids. I haven't been able to do that. Now my bet is, it has something to do with the fact that you're still breathing."

"If you're going to kill me, just do it!"

"Not until I know I'm right. But I do have ways of making you suffer." He pulled them into the gym, turning on an American accent, "Attention, seniors. You have officially been busted."

Dana rolled her eyes. "Nice try, Abigail."

"Prank night is over. Head on home." Klaus sped to her and Chad, holding them in place as the rest of the students filed out of the gym. "You two. I remember you."