Homecoming

"Alright, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here." Stefan led them into the boarding house's living room. "He tried to grab her so he could use her as bait."

"And you what?" Elena asked. "Vervained him?"

"No, we vervained him!" Damon pointed across the room at Mikael. "This guy is an Original... have to make it realistic."

"Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger."

"Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead..."

"We drove it through his heart."

Abigail stopped in front of the fireplace. "And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?"

"Good point!" Damon turned to Stefan. "You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So, the idea is to lure him back here and kill him... last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied."

"Well, don't look at me." He put his hands up. "I am just in charge of getting him back here."

"Klaus is smart." When Stefan looked at her, she found that something in his expression had shifted. "If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof."

Mikael stepped forward, shoulders back, chin up. "Then I shall be dead."

Elena moved her gaze from Abigail to Mikael. "What if he wants to see you in person?"

"Well, that means our plan is working." He took another step toward her. "Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him."

"With what?" Stefan asked. "Those daggers won't work on him."

"I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree." He took a dagger and a jar of ashes from his coat pocket. "The one that left these ashes when it burned."

"Where is it?"

"Not here." He dipped the dagger into the jar. "The knowing of its location is my insurance policy."

"Against what?"

"You leaving this in my heart. You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying." He held the dagger out to Elena. "So...it falls to you."

"Y-You want me to actually dagger you?"

He nodded once. "Klaus will leave nothing to chance, especially when it comes to trust."

Moments after she drove the dagger into Mikael's heart, Stefan called Klaus.

"Portland is fantastic," Klaus sang. "Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy-looking people. It is literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

"Your father is dead."

"What did you say to me?"

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered." Stefan turned away from the body, using long strides to walk to the windows on the opposite wall. "What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened, and then I want to see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself."

"Come by whenever."

"If you are lying to me Stefan, your compulsion will expose you." He paused. "So, answer with your life: Is what you are saying the truth?"

"I saw it with my own eyes."

They all knew what he was going to say next, "I wanna talk to Rebekah."

"That's not a problem. She is right here."