The Turning Point

Stefan decided to leave Mystic Falls not long after their excursion to Fell's Church. It was a decision Abigail couldn't bring herself to agree with. They were entangled in each other's lives; there was no easy way out.

Still, the plan was in motion. The Salvatore brothers were leaving, and they were supposed to return to their normal lives: whatever that meant. So, when the career fair rolled around, Abigail wasn't surprised that she was constantly reminded of them.

"You and Stefan?" Jenna pulled on her jacket. "Update?"

"He knows how I feel and where I stand, and I know where he stands but it doesn't matter." Elena aggressively fastened the buttons on her coat. "He's leaving, moving away."

"Where is he going?" Jenna asked.

Elena shrugged. "I've stopped asking questions. The answers get scary."

Jenna sighed. "Yours leaves, mine returns."

Abigail gasped. "Logan?"

"He's back," Jenna confirmed with a groan. "I didn't let him pass the front door."

"I hope you slammed it in his face."

"Ah." Jenna shrugged. "Medium slam."

"Three strike rule, Jenna." She pushed them out of the front door. "You're not even allowed to watch the news."

"Exactly." Jenna nodded. "No more Logan 'Scum' Fell."

They made it to school with time to spare before the first bell, so they lingered near their lockers just as they had on the first day of school. Abigail scanned the hallway, ignoring posters for the career fair. She did not find who she was looking for in her search, but she found Caroline and Matt standing together as opposed to with their teams.

"Did I miss something?" Elena asked. "As in did I miss something involving Caroline and Matt?"

"They've been hanging out," Bonnie answered.

Elena turned to her sister. "Did you know?"

"No." Elena gave her a look that questioned her honesty, so she added, "He didn't tell me."

Elena pulled her locker open. "Kind of weird, don't you think?"

"Kind of weird he didn't tell me, his ex-girlfriend's sister, he was seeing someone else? No." Abigail took her history and English textbooks from her locker. "He probably didn't want to put me in the middle of it."

"Caroline needs a nice guy like him." Bonnie tilted her head from one side to the other. "As opposed to a homicidal vampire like Damon."

"How are you doing with all of that?" Abigail asked.

"I'm freaked out." Bonnie answered honestly, a good sign. "Damon attacked me. I could be dead right now-"

"I don't even want to think about that," Abigail cut her off. "Really."

"But I'm also grateful," she continued as if she hadn't been interrupted. "To Stefan. He saved my life and... Have you seen him, Elena?"

"Not since he told me he was leaving." Elena threw her scarf in her locker. "For all I know, he's already gone."

Abigail shook her head. "He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye."

"Yes, he would. He thinks he's protecting me, that he's protecting us." Elena slammed her locker closed. "Clean break and all that."

"So, what are you going to do?"

"What am I supposed to do, Abigail?" Elena took the first step down the hall. "I've already begged him not to go. If I ask again, I'm being selfish. It is what it is."