The Murder of One

Abigail had taken Alaric's suggestion that each of them learn a few recipes seriously, even if she no longer needed food to survive. So, even as she waited anxiously to see who it would be when he woke up, she made breakfast. Eggs and bacon, simple really, something her father could whip up effortlessly. She'd found his recipe in a family cookbook, studied it, practiced it, and eventually, through trial and error, she perfected it.

When he walked in groggily from the bedroom, he announced rather quickly that he was him. That he was the man she fell in love with. That he was the man she was fighting so hard to hold onto.

"Okay, for someone who couldn't even crack an egg seven months ago..." He leaned back in his chair. "That was amazing."

She kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

Stefan and Damon walked inside then, smiling with cargo in tow. "Morning, lovebirds!"

"Why are you in such a good mood?" She dropped their plates into the sink. "Sage double-crossed you, the only remaining white oak tree is a pile of ash, and-"

"And I have a homicidal alter ego," Alaric finished her sentence.

"You know, I'm a philanthropist, I make the world a better place. Restoring bridges, landmarks, and..." He ripped the paper off what he carried into the room: the Wickery Bridge sign. "Historical signs made of the same white oak as the Wickery Bridge. Game's back on."

Everything stopped when there was a knock on the door. They listened closely for a sign as to who it was, the chime of Elena's phone giving her away. Abigail answered the door, not quite opening it all the way in hopes of concealing what was going on inside.

"Hey." She smiled softly, moving to enter the apartment. "How is he?"

"Indecent, but fine."

"So, does that mean there were no issues last night?"

"Not one," she said quickly.

Elena swung the gift basket she was holding from side to side. "Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?"

"What did you bring?" She took the basket from her. "Oh, chocolate muffins. He loves these. Thanks."

"Tell him I miss him, okay?"

"He misses you, too." She took a step back inside. "Have a great day, thanks for coming by."

"Abig-"

She closed the door, letting out a sigh of relief as she turned back to the miter saw. "Walking down the stairs, opening the front door, and she's gone."

Alaric turned the saw on, lowering it to cut the last of the Wickery Bridge sign.

Stefan picked up one of the stakes Damon carved. "This needs to have a sharper point."

"I got it."

"We finally have our own stakes to kill an Original," Stefan said. "I'm not gonna miss because you can't whittle."

"I said I got it." He sharpened the point. "Stop micromanaging."

"Looks like you guys have this under control. I'm gonna call the sheriff." Alaric pulled on his jacket. "I want to turn myself in."

Damon sped to the door. "No, you don't."

"Unlike some people in this room," he quipped, "I would like to take responsibility for the people I've killed."

"If you wanted to turn yourself in, you wouldn't be saying it out loud." Damon shrugged. "Just saying."

"Hey, listen, out of all people, you cannot psychoanalyze me." He took another step toward the door. "I killed Caroline's father; I nearly killed Meredith. Everything's changed."