Chapter 2 - Daily Life 4/5

The rest of the day and the one after are uneventful. There's still the usual tension between Kaori and Youta, with Kenji and Hikaru usually serving as mediators to keep them from being outright hostile. Quite a few people, while quiet about it, are still visibly confused at the newfound friendship between Eri and Minoru.

Juro has found himself showing Jihun a lot of his work while also teaching him a few tips and tricks. But today, the sketch artist finds himself in the company of the reserved cardist instead, after asking her to teach him something.

He is surrounded by other Ultimates. He might as well learn from them.

He watches as Ryoko seperates the stack of cards in two equal halves, then uses her other fingers of the same hand to raise the bottom stack above the other and skillfully switches them. She glances up and hands him the stack of black cards with beautifully designed blue symbols.

*That's the Charlier cut. The theory is really simple, but I expect you to drop one half at least twice so never try this where you can lose a card easily.* She signs, and it almost seems like her cold grey eyes are giving him a silent warning.

Juro nods. The two students have found themselves in the room where they first woke up, it almost feels like an eternity has passed since then. The students have adapted pretty well to their terrifying circumstances, but Juro knows it's only the calm before the storm. He expects Monokuma to pop up with a new motive any second at this point.

Making an attempt at the Charlier cut, it goes well initially until he has to swap the positions of the two halves. As Ryoko predicted, when Juro's hand slips he drops most of the cards and they scatter on the couch between them. He apologizes to Ryoko, but she just brushes it off, reminding him that he's merely a beginner so she wasn't expecting much.

*I lost a lot of cards by dropping them when I started out.* Ryoko picks up a card, flipping it between her fingers before placing it back on the stack in Juro's hand *I still do. It happens when you learn a new cut.*

Juro just gives her a grateful smile and continues to gather the scattered cards. Afterwards he allows Ryoko to give him a few pointers on his grip and listens to her advice before he attempts again.

He's not sure if his poor beginner skills are to blame this attempt, because when he is about to switch the stacks a second time, the monitor comes to life, revealing Monokuma holding a glass of a fancy drink, maybe champagne "Ahem, attention please. All students, please assemble in the living room for a very special announcement! Everyone who doesn't will be punished~."

Ryoko raises an eyebrow, looking at Juro, and he quickly signs *Announcement.*

Her expression returns to its usual coldness after asking him the silent question and she nods *Motive?* She begins gathering her cards and putting them back in their box.

*He only mentioned he has an announcement but yeah, I expect a motive.* Juro hands her the cards he gathered *At least we're already in the right place.*

After nodding, Ryoko puts her deck of cards back in the small bag strapped to her thigh. Juro turns his attention to the door when it creaks open. Kenji, Youta and Chinami arrive shortly after the two finish cleaning up the cards. They exchange pleasantries and Juro almost offers a translation for Ryoko, when he catches her glancing up at them briefly, only to shift her gaze back to a wall and rest her chin on her hand. It seems she doesn't have an interest in talking to them.

Others arrive soon after. Minoru accompanies Eri. Daichi and Hachiro seem to have picked up Mai on the way, who immediately plops down on a couch. Jihun practically drags in Hikaru and Kaori, for some reason looking excited. Glares are exchanged between Youta and Kaori, before Hikaru tugs the latter away and the otologist begrudgingly sits down, crossing her arms. Arisa is the last one to arrive, having a scowl on her face and muttering what sounds like a string of curse words under her breath.