Chapter 2 - Daily Life 1/5

It's silent in the elevator that takes them back above ground, making the atmosphere even heavier in the confined space. Ryoko is sitting far away in the corner, practicing her cardistry with trembling hands. Juro glances at her with a frown, but doesn't approach her. The cardist has been very distant since meeting them and made that very clear, so he doesn't want to bother her. Minoru carries Eri in his arms, since the doll maker is visibly shaken and gripping her head. Kaori has her arms crossed and leans against the wall, standing in a corner to preserve the distance between her and the others. She stares off into the distance, and Juro doesn't even want to think of disturbing her.

The elevator opens and Arisa quickly steps outside, quickly followed by Ryoko. The knife thrower turns back to glare "I'm going to my room. Leave me alone or we'll be going to the next trial right away."

Multiple people flinch at the comment, which could be expected, but they don't protest. Arisa scoffs and turns on her heel, leaving the group behind. Juro sighs while the group slowly disperses.

"Ebisu-kun..." Youta begins, holding out a hand to the clown who is sitting on the floor "I know we're not exactly close, but we both got along with Ishikawa-san. So... do you want to join me for a walk?"

Hachiro hesitates, not really looking at Youta, but manages a nod and a quick glance upwards. He takes Youta's outstretched hand and gets to his feet, before they leave.

"Well, I'm gonna take a nap." Mai gives everyone a lazy wave and then walks away.

Juro looks behind him to see the fountain moving back into place, not even leaving a trace of the entrance to the trial room. He hopes he'll never have to see it again, but a part of him remains too fearful to cherish such optimism.

"Juro hyung..." Jihun tugs on the sketch artist's sleeve with teary eyes "Why did Kaya noona suddenly become so mean? She wasn't mad at us, right?" Jihun's throat seems to close up a little near the end as a sob shakes his frame.

Exhaling slowly, Juro pulls the short boy close to him and gently rubs his back while Jihun grabs a fistful of his shirt "I'm not sure..." The sketch artist admits with a sigh "She might've been mad at Monokuma, or at Ishikawa-san... but directed the anger at us. She was under a lot of stress. We shouldn't hold it against her."

There is no point in holding the outburst against Kaya, Juro realizes. She is gone, executed in one of the most gruesome ways by Monokuma. There is no way to bring her or Mana back, or even just have a chance to talk to them.

Juro's throat closes and he tries to swallow the lump forming while silent tears slowly fall from his eyes. He doesn't make a sound, just holding a sobbing Jihun close so the maknae doesn't have to see him crumble too.

"It's okay..." Juro lightly pets Jihun's hair "You can be sad. We're all sad because of what happened, some people just don't like being sad in front of others."

"And you?"

"Huh?"

Jihun pulls back, wiping his eyes with his sleeves "Do you dislike being sad around people?"

Juro manages a smile, although he can't hide the sadness in his now slightly red eyes "Sometimes a little. I want to help others, but sometimes they're too scared to reach out to me if I'm sad."

Lowering his hands, Jihun frowns "I think you can be sad too, Juro hyung. If we can all be sad, you can be sad too, right?"

Despite it all, Juro can't help but let out a small chuckle "I guess you're right. Let's go get something to drink. My throat is really dry right now and yours might be too."

Jihun manages a tiny smile and nods "Okay."

~*~

While steam rises from the cup, Juro holds it a little too firmly to regain some warmth in his hands. His extremities have been feeling very cold since he found Mana's lifeless body this morning, and the events that took place during the trial definitely haven't helped either. Is this how it's going to be? Fighting and accusing each other until they find the blackened and watch them being executed? Or lose their own lives because they fail?